💜 679 💙

(This is in Josuke's POV btw)

"I love you."

You nearly spit out the coffee you're drinking, feeling it drip down your chin as you lower your can.

"...What?"

"I-I, uh."

Okuyasu's face is beet red. He looks away, his hand ducking behind his neck.

"I...um. Love you."

You stare at him. He keeps glancing up at you, his eyes wide, eyebrows arched and he looks at you, then he looks away, then he looks at you again, away, at you, away.

A chill runs over your body. Wait, he's...serious. Oh my fucking God. He's serious.

Your hand tightens on the can to the point it dents. Loudly.

"I need...to go."

"H-- Huh?"

"My mom. Uh...hahahahaha! Mom. Needs me? Fffffor...dishes. Laundry. FUCK. Dishes. Bye."

Before he can say much, you're sprinting at full speed.

You wouldn't call yourself cowardly, you think. Considering all the battles you've won, the times you've stared death in the face, the times you've had to heal your friends bleeding to death on the sidewalk-- you're not cowardly. Not at all! So running away from one of your best friends after he tells you he loves you isn't cowardly, right?

When you finally make it home, wrenching the door open and slamming it shut, leaning against it in a cold sweat, you're not a coward. You don't think you are. Not at all! Totally not.

Your mom is sitting at the table with Jotaro, drinking tea. Well, presumably they were. Mom's cup is on the table, with her hand wrapped around it. Jotaro holds his. They're both staring at you.

"Uhhhh..." You can't even look at them in the eye. Mom's eyebrow quirks. "...S-Sorry."

You quickly slip out of your shoes and trip over yourself trying to get to your room.

This is...a little unbelievable. Bad unbelievable? You're not sure. It's just...well, it's Okuyasu. Over the past year or so, Okuyasu's been one of your best friends...probably ever. He's up there with Koichi, but he's different from Koichi. Koichi's the kind of person you go to for advice. The kind of guy who's always telling you not to do it, and is funny to embarrass. The kind of guy you'd protect with your life (though he doesn't need it anymore) and the kind of guy you'd always want to support (like, with his thing with Yamagishi. Man, are they a thing, or not?). Koichi is...Koichi!

But Okuyasu?

Okuyasu is...uh. Well, it's hard to explain. Okuyasu is someone who it hurts to see upset. Okuyasu is fun, always gets into trouble with you. He never thinks you're being stupid. Or...if he does, he doesn't show it. He just laughs along with you and even joins in on your schemes. You can always count on him! When you met Okuyasu, he was really misled by his brother. But he trusted you, which was incredible, right? And you trust him! He could've pushed you away, but he never did. He's a nice guy like that. Sure, Koichi's the bomb, but Okuyasu was someone who made you feel different things.

...

Whoa, wait. Different things? Now that you say that after what just happened, it freaks you out. What kinds of things, Josuke? You wipe your sweaty palms on your pants. Well, uh...he's...stupid. Wait! Wait, that sounded horrible! No, no, like. He's just...uh. He's really silly? He's like, the perfect partner. Wait, shit! No, you don't mean that! Well, you do, but. Not like that! Right?! Right! Right, you don't, not Okuyasu...