💜 The Lie 💙

It was a warm Friday in spring. The afternoon sun was warm and the hint of growing sakura buds on the trees outside the window was a telltale sign of the school year coming to an end.

Third years were enjoying a great sense of ease. What with exams being over and only needing to wait on the final classes to finish, there was a level of tranquillity in the senior classrooms that was never seen at any other time of year.

This was very much reflected in Okuyasu Nijimura as well. Who beamed brightly as he almost skipped to Josuke Higashikata's desk at the back of the classroom. There his boyfriend sat, talking to Koichi who's desk sat in front of him.

Koichi was the first to see him, giving Okuyasu a friendly wave as he came over. Then Josuke turned to look as well. But something felt off.

Instead of the giddy grin Josuke usually adorned when he caught eye of his boyfriend - especially at the end of the school day - the teen almost flinched at the sight of him. This only worsened when Okuyasu arrived by his desk, leaning down to wrap his arms around Josuke's neck in a loving hug. But the half-caucasian boy dodged his embrace, his eyes darting around the room as if fearful of anyone seeing the sign of affection.

Okuyasu didn't think much of it, like many things, and leaned against the desk beside Josuke's. "What do you wanna do tonight, Josuke?" Not hiding his excitement to the thought of having his boyfriend all afternoon and evening. "I was thinking we could go rent a few movies and watch it at your place. Your mum is usually out of town til' late too. So . . . you know, we could . . . uh cuddle and stuff." Becoming mindful of his words with the presence of their mutual friend.

"Um . . ." Josuke began, looking from Okuyasu to his already packed school bag. "Y'know uh, tonights not gonna work for me."

Okuyasu frowned, "What? Why?" Josuke always left his Friday nights free for Okuyasu, even before they became a thing.

"Well . . . I've gotta . . . cook dinner!" Josuke blurted, "Yeah, uh . . . mum wants me to cook dinner for her tonight, and shit."

"Huh? But Josuke, you don't cook-" Koichi replied. Even their short-heightened peer was frowning.

"Wha-" Josuke blurted, "Yes I do! I've been . . . practising! And mum wants to try some, y' know?"

"Oh . . ." Okuyasu muttered. Kinda hurt by the idea of not being treated to Josuke's cooking, especially if it didn't have him bolting for ER afterwards.

"Well . . . I better go so," Josuke said, getting out of his seat and slinging his bag over his shoulder.

"Well, when are you free next? I was thinking-" Okuyasu began before being interrupted.

"L-let's talk later, 'kay? Don't wanna . . . uh . . . keep mum waiting!" And with that, Josuke was off. Making a quick exit through the door, not even saying goodbye to Yukako who was just about to enter the room.

Okuyasu watched Josuke until he was out of view. Tilting his head to the side, he couldn't quite put his finger on it but his boyfriend was acting weird. Sitting in Josuke's now-vacant seat, Okuyasu could only frown at the door which Josuke used to leave. Almost as if hoping he'd come right back.

"What's the matter with him?" Yukako asked as she finally joined the two boys at their seats. Opting to sit in her boyfriend's lap.

The view of the miniscule Koichi almost hidden behind Yukako was usually enough to get Okuyasu giggling but not this time.

"He was saying he was cooking for his mum tonight," Koichi replied, smiling when his girlfriend stroked his head.

Yukako frowned, her nose wrinkling in disgust. "I feel sorry for her then. I had to take two days off school that one time he made me eat one of his cookies."