🇮🇳 𝑹𝒆𝒑𝒖𝒃𝒍𝒊𝒄 𝑫𝒂𝒚 🇮🇳

~ 🄹🄰🄽🅄🄰🅁🅈 26, 2021 ~

Where the mind is without fear and head is held high,
Into the heaven of freedom, my father, let my country awake!
~Rabindranath Tagore

26th January 2021, the 72nd Republic Day of our nation. Today, we are here to celebrate the historic day and remember our national heroes and freedom fighters who worked hard to make India, a republic nation.

It was on 26th January 1950, that the Indian Constitution drafted by Dr. Bhim Rao Ambedkar came into its effect, thus making India one of largest democracies in the world.

Our nation attained its freedom on 15th August 1947, but this freedom did not come along with democracy and the right to choose our own Government. Since India didn't have an official Constitution then, our country was a constitutional monarchy under the rule of King George VI even after Independence.

On 29th August, 1947, the Constituent Assembly set up a Drafting Committee under the Chairmanship of Dr. B.R. Ambedkar to prepare a Draft Constitution for India.

Though the Constitution of India was adopted on 26 November, 1949 by the Constituent Assembly of India it was formally made effective on 26th January, 1950. The reason behind it was to remember the day our national leaders called for Complete Independence for the first time. It was in 1929, during the Indian National Congress' (INC) Lahore Session that a demand for Poorna Swaraj or complete independence was made for the first time in the history of India's freedom struggle from the British rule. This was followed by January 26, 1930 being announced as the Poorna Swaraj Diwas (Complete Independence Day). To honour this important day in India's freedom movement, our Constitution was adopted on January 26, 1950.

It was on this day when India was declared as a sovereign, socialist, secular, democratic republic. And to honour this day, the Indian Republic Day is celebrated with great fervour throughout the country every year on January 26. As we all know, the event begins with the Prime Minister of India laying a wreath at the Amar Jawan Jyoti at India Gate, Delhi, commemorating all the soldiers who sacrificed their lives for the country. Soon after, a 21 gun salute (Ikkis topon ki salaami) is presented. The President unfurls the National Flag and the National Anthem is played. This marks the beginning of the parade.

A grand parade is held in the national capital, New Delhi, from Raisina Hill near the Rashtrapati Bhavan (President's House), along the Rajpath, past India Gate and on to the historic Red Fort.

But, something which most of us don't know is that, the Republic Day celebration is a three day extravaganza, consisting of the PM rally, Lok Tarang, and Beating the Retreat.

PM RALLY: Post the celebration at India Gate, on the 27th January, a Prime Minister's Rally is held by N.C.C cadets displaying various breath-taking performances and drill.

LOK TARANG: National Folk Dance Festival is organised every year from 24th to 29th January. This festival provides a unique opportunity for people to witness colourful, vibrant and authentic folk dances drawn from various parts of the country.

BEATING THE RETREAT: It officially denotes the end of the Republic Day festivities. All important Government buildings are beautifully decorated with lights every evening from 26th to 29th. Beating the Retreat ceremony is conducted on the evening of January 29th, the third day after the Republic Day. The ceremony starts by the massed bands of the three services marching in unison, playing popular marching tunes. This is followed by the bugle call for Retreat, the band master then marches to the President and requests permission to take the bands away, and informs that the closing ceremony is now complete. The bands march back playing a popular martial tune Saare Jahan Se Acha. At exactly 6 pm, the buglers sound the retreat and the National Flag is lowered, and the National Anthem is sung, bringing the Republic Day celebrations to a formal end.

DR. BHIM RAO AMBEDKAR AND HIS CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE MAKING OF THE INDIAN CONSTITUTION

Dr. B. R. Ambedkar was born on 14th April 1891, in the Mhow Army Cantonment, Central Provinces (present-day Madhya Pradesh) to a Dalit family. His family's low caste status resulted in his early life being marked by discrimination, segregation and untouchability. Still, his academic life was prolific. He obtained a B.A in Economics and Political Science from Elphinstone College, an M.A and Doctoral Degree from London School of Economics, and another Doctoral Degree from Columbia University in 1927.

The Indian Constitution and its drafting process are often seen as synonymous with Ambedkar. He was often seen as the Father of the Indian Constitution, and is probably the most well known of all Constituent Assembly members. Ambedkar became a key figure in India's constitution-making process due to the offices he held and his interventions and speeches in the Assembly. He was the Chairman of the Assembly's most crucial committee- the Drafting Committee, and was also a member of another important Committee. As the chairman of the Drafting Committee, he had to defend the Draft Constitution which it prepared, and therefore intervened in nearly every debate. On behalf of the Scheduled Caste Federation Party, Ambedkar wrote and submitted States and Minorities to the Sub-Committee on Fundamental Rights of the Constituent Assembly. A mini-Constitution in itself, States and Minorities framed strong social and economic rights.

Comparatively, Ambedkar's interventions and speeches, on various aspects of the Constitution, were often insightful, well-reasoned and scrupulously researched. This won him the support and respect of other members of the Assembly who allowed him to lead the constitution-making project.

Dear Indians, our nation is a vast tree with many branches standing strong on its root Hindustan, the land of cultures. Let's bind the bond of brotherhood among us, walking forward to build the prosperity of our nation. Let the tricolour rise high spreading the scenes of sovereignty throughout. Wishing you all a very Happy Republic Day.

Shashi (RRao_13) & Sumeet (Psr1403) extend their warm wishes to you:

The legal acceptance of the constitution gave India its independence in true sense. May the day that marked the constitution being put forth also mark a new phase in your life. May you all always stay a true patriot and extend your loyalty towards the nation in every sense.

Let's recall and cherish the golden heritage of our country, the true heroes of India who sacrificed their lives and sweat to give us freedom in a complete sense. Let's feel proud to be a citizen of India.

Wishing all of you Indians, a very Happy Republic Day.

━◦○◦━◦○◦━◦○◦━◦○◦━◦○◦━◦○◦━

𝙲𝚘𝚗𝚝𝚎𝚗𝚝 𝙱𝚢:
mahi2325 and __wandering__

𝙴𝚍𝚒𝚝𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝙱𝚢: pahul_gpk
𝙱𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚛 𝙱𝚢: RRao_13