🌾Happy Gudi Padwa & Ugadi🌾

~🄰🄿🅁🄸🄻 2, 2022~

~🄰🄿🅁🄸🄻 2, 2022~

"Gudi padwa mein chupi hain kathaye anek ,
Ghar mein aaye khushiyan anek.
Beete lamhe ab yaadon ka basta hain,
Aage sandesh sabhi shubh leke khada farishta hain.
Gudi padwa ka hain mauka aaj,
Naye rang mein nayi umang liye umad aaya hain dekho phir se Naya saal."

Ugadi, also known as Yugadi, is a renowned South Indian festival mainly celebrated in Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka and Telangana to commemorate the beginning of a new year. The festival of Ugadi is celebrated on the first day of Chaitra month as per the Hindu calendar. This year, Ugadi falls on April 2, Saturday. Likewise, on the same day, Gudi Padwa, the traditional New year of Maharashtra is enjoyed by the Marathi and Konkani Hindus.

On this glorious occasion, people traditionally decorate their house with mango leaves, garlands of flowers, prepare tasty foods, make vibrant rangoli and decorate them with floral designs in front of the door. Besides, they take a special oil bath to show their devotion to the gods and also wear new clothes.

History and Significance
The Ugadi term originated from Sanskrit, where the word ‘yuga’ means time and the word ‘adi’ denotes beginning. This means ‘the beginning of a new age’. It has been remarked as one of the prominent and historic Hindu festivals with some ancient texts and inscriptions recording important charitable donations to Hindu temples and community centres on this day.

According to the legends, this festival is named after Lord Brahma, said to be the creator of this universe on the day of Ugadi. Hence, this day also indicates the beginning of Satyajug. Not only that, but it also marks the beginning of Chaitra Navratri which leads up to Ram Navami, Lord Rama’s birthday.

Ugadi symbolises the beginning of spring and the arrival of mild summers. On the day of Ugadi, after offering prayer there is a ritual of consuming neem leaves. In some places, devotees even make a paste of neem leaves mixed with coriander seeds, tamarind and jaggery. It is believed that consuming the neem leaves will purify our blood and will also increase our immunity to fight diseases. Additionally, green chilli/pepper is eaten to control our anger.

Practices
The Kannada, Kodava, Telugu and the Tulu diaspora in Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka and Tamil Nadu celebrate the festival with great fanfare; gatherings of the extended family and a sumptuous feast are 'de rigueur'. The day begins early with ritual showers, rubbing the body with perfumed oil, followed by prayers.

Preparations for the festival begin a week ahead. Houses are given a thorough clean. People buy new clothes and Dhoti and buy new items for the festival, decorate the entrance of their houses with fresh mango leaves. Mango leaves and coconuts are considered auspicious in the Hindu tradition, and they are used on Ugadi. People also clean the front of their house with water and cow dung paste, then draw colorful floral designs. People offer prayer in temples. The celebration of Ugadi is marked by religious zeal and social merriment.

Special dishes are prepared for the occasion. In Karnataka eatables Holige, Obattu and mango pickles are made .In Andhra Pradesh eatables such as "pulihora, bobbatlu (Bhakshalu/ polelu/ oligale), New Year Burelu and Pachadi" and preparations made with raw mango go well with the occasion. Of these, pachadi (or Ugadi pacchadi) is the most notable, and consists of a chutney-like dish which combines ingredients to give all six flavours of food (షడ్రుచులు - ṣaḍruculu) : sweet (తీపి - tīpi), sour (పులుపు - pulupu), salty (ఉప్పు - uppu), spicy (కారం - kāraṁ), bitter (చేదు - cēdu) and astringent (వగరు - vagaru). This festive Hindu food is made from tamarind paste (sour), neem flowers (bitter), brown sugar or sweet jaggery (sweet), table salt (salt), green chilli (spicy) and raw mango (astringent). It is a symbolic reminder of complex phases of life one should reasonably expect in the new year.

We, FamiliaDeYUDKBH, wish all YUDKBHians a very Happy Gudi Padwa and Ugadi. With love, light, peace and progress heading your way, May you have a great Gudi Padwa as well as Ugadi and an even better year ahead!

"Gudi padwa ka din hain aaj,
Gud se kar lo muh sab meetha aaj.
Badal gayi hain rut aur jhum ke phir laut aayi hain bahar,
Hariyali se mehak ta hain Kan kan aaj,
Ugadi hain mauka kuch hone ko nayi shuruwat."

───✱*.。:。✱*.:。✧*.。✰*.:。✧*.。:。*.。✱ ───

𝙲𝚘𝚗𝚝𝚎𝚗𝚝 𝙱𝚢: 112313parnika
𝚀𝚞𝚘𝚝𝚎𝚜 𝙱𝚢: its_rithya
𝙱𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚛 𝙱𝚢: RRao_13