🕉️ 𝑺𝒉𝒊𝒗𝒓𝒂𝒕𝒓𝒊 🕉️

~ 🄼🄰🅁🄲🄷 11, 2021 ~

~ 🄼🄰🅁🄲🄷 11, 2021 ~

Mahashivratri- the day we honour the lord of the universe- Vishwanatha, Lord Shiva. Mahashivratri is a major festival in Hinduism. It dispels ignorance, emanates the light of knowledge, makes one aware of the universe, ushers in the spring after the cold and dry winter, and invokes the supreme power to take cognizance of the beings that were created by him.

It is observed by remembering Shiva and chanting prayers, fasting, and meditating. There are various mythological stories and puranas which state the reason for the origin of Mahashivratri celebration.

According to one, during the samudra manthan, a pot of poison emerged from the ocean. This terrified the Gods and demons as the poison was capable of destroying the entire world, and they ran to Shiva for help. To protect the world from its evil effects, Shiva drank the deadly poison but held it in his throat instead of swallowing it. This made his throat turn blue, thus given the name Neelakantha, the blue-throated one. Shivaratri is the celebration of this event where Lord Shiva saved the world.

According to another legend in the Shiva Purana, once the other two of the triads of Hindu Gods, Brahma and Vishnu, were fighting over who was the superior of the two. Horrified at the intensity of the battle, the other gods asked Shiva to intervene. To make them realize the futility of their fight, Shiva assumed the form of a huge column of fire in between Brahma and Vishnu. Awestruck by its magnitude, they decided to find one end each to establish supremacy over the other. Brahma assumed the form of a swan and went upwards and Vishnu as Varaha went into the earth. But light has no limit and though they searched for thousands of miles, neither could find the end. On his journey upwards, Brahma came across a Ketaki flower wafting down slowly. When asked where she had come from, the Ketaki replied that she had been placed at the top of the fiery column as an offering. Unable to find the uppermost limit, Brahma decided to end his search and take the flower as a witness. At this, the angry Shiva revealed his true form. He punished Brahma for telling a lie, and cursed him that no one would ever pray to him. The Ketaki flower too was banned from being used as an offering for any worship, as she had testified falsely. Since it was on the 14th day in the dark half of the month of Phalguna that Shiva first manifested himself in the form of a Linga, the day is especially auspicious and is celebrated as Mahashivaratri.

Worshipping Shiva on this day is believed to bestow one with happiness and prosperity. Another story states that after the death of Sati the first wife of Shiv, Aadishakti takes birth in the form of Devi Parvati. It was on this day that Mahadev and Parvati got married, and Lord Shiva performs his divine dance. The sacred union is celebrate as Mahashivratri.

The auspicious festival of Mahashivaratri is celebrated with devotion and religious fervor all over India and even beyond. On Shivaratri day, after finishing morning rituals, devotees should take Sankalp to observe full day fast on Shivaratri and to take food the next day. During Sankalp, devotees pledge for self-determination throughout the fasting period and seek the blessing of Lord Shiva to finish the fast without any interference.

On Shivaratri day devotees should take a second bath in the evening before doing Shiva Puja or visiting the temple. Shiva Puja should be done during night and devotees should break the fast next day after taking bath. Devotees should break the fast between sunrise and before the end of Chaturdashi Tithi to get the maximum benefit of the Vrat.

Though fasting and worship of Shiva Linga with a ritual bath remain the common feature of Shivaratri celebrations at all places, minor variations due to regional difference can be observed in some states.

HIMACHAL PRADESH
The temple of Bhutnath at Mandi in Himachal Pradesh is said to host the biggest Shivaratri Puja in the country. Every year on Shivratri Festival, the Governor of the state leads a Shobha Yatra at a function inaugurated by the Chief Minister. The royal family of Mandi started the tradition some 500 years ago. An eight-day-long fair is also organized which witnesses the participation of artists from India and even beyond.

ASSAM
In the North-eastern state of Assam, the hub of Shivratri celebrations is at the Umananda Temple, situated on the Peacock Island in the middle of Brahamaputra river in Guwahati, the capital of Assam. Thousands of Shiva devotees from all over the country pay a visit to the temple on the occasion of Shivaratri.

WEST BENGAL
Following the tradition, they make four Shivlings made of clay of the holy river Ganga. These Shivlings are later offered in puja in four "prahars" (a meassure of time equal to 3 hours) of the night. In the first prahar one of the shivlings is bathed in milk. In the second period it is bathed with curd, in the third with ghee and in the fourth with honey. The devotees also stay awake the all - through the Shivaratri night.

MADHYA PRADESH
Bundelkhand region, which has a stronghold of Shaivites hosts the biggest Shivaratri celebrations in the state. A large number of Lord Shiva devotees flock the Matangeshwar Temple and worship throughout the night. Highpoint of the Shivaratri celebrations at the Matangeshwar Temple is the 10-day-long fair that witness the participation of traders, peddlers and gypsies from other parts of the state

ANDHRA PRADESH
Festival of Shivratri is observed with extreme enthusiasm in the state of Andhra Pradesh. Devotees throng the various important Shiva temples in the state mainly Sri Kalahasteshwara Temple at Kalahasti and the Bharamarambha Malikarjunaswamy Temple at Srisailam. Devotees also observe fast and chant mantras in honor of Lord Shiva to mark the auspicious festival.

Here's this song dedicated to Shivji, which always evokes in us, the true emotion of Shiv Bhakti.

━◦○◦━◦○◦━◦○◦━◦○◦━◦○◦━◦○◦━

𝙲𝚘𝚗𝚝𝚎𝚗𝚝 𝙱𝚢: mahi2325
𝙴𝚍𝚒𝚝𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝙱𝚢: pahul_gpk
𝙱𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚛 𝙱𝚢: Miss_Dona