Despair ❀ Bennett

╔═════ °❀•°✮°•❀°═════╗

𝐈'𝐦 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐟𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐲𝐨𝐮, 𝐬𝐨 𝐩𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐞 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐦𝐞𝐫𝐜𝐲 𝐨𝐧 𝐦𝐞...

╚═════ °❀•°✮°•❀°═════╝

~Bennett x Female! Reader~

"I-I like you a lot! You're the most amazing adventurer I know... And you're really great in general! You're... The prettiest girl I've ever seen! Y-You don't have to accept my confession, I'm not really expecting you to..."

"Bennett..." You stood, mouth agape. "I'm sorry, but... I don't like you that way. We can still be friends, if you want?"

You felt terrible that you had to reject him, but you really had no feelings for him. Well, at least not in that way. You still admired him because he was a great person and he always pushed through all the problems that arose within his life. However, you strictly felt friendly feelings toward him, nothing more.

"O-Okay! Thank you!" He blessed, glad you were still willing to be friends.

"I have to go now, but I'll see you later, okay?" You said.

"Yep!"

•❅──────✧❅✦❅✧──────❅•

You went out adventuring with your team, looking to fight the anemo hypostasis. Bennett wasn't invited to join your team, so he was left sulking in the adventurer's guild. Multiple people asked him what was wrong, but he insisted it was nothing. He should've known you didn't like him in that way.

My bad luck strikes again, huh...? He thought.

His heart felt like it was tearing in half. He had no chance with you, and he was aware of it. He didn't want to feel the utter despair creeping up on him, but it was unstoppable. He wasn't used to feeling so low. He always tried to stay optimistic, but even though you agreed to stay friends, Bennett knew he'd always end up feeling a bit depressed around you. Who knew even Bennett, the upbeat adventurer with horrible luck, could feel despair?

After a while, you returned to the guild and noticed Bennett in his solemn state. Your guilt grew worse at the sight, knowing it was you who caused it, but you couldn't help it. You just didn't love Bennett.

The following day, Bennett decided to go adventuring so he could cheer himself up, but on his way out of Mondstadt, he noticed you laughing along with a certain bard. He felt that deep pit of despair rise again, so he hastily ran through the gates of Mondstadt and off to who-knows-where.

He could barely even control his thoughts, thinking about how much happier you were with someone else. You'd caught a glimpse of him heading out of Mondstadt, so you promptly excused yourself and left to go after him.

Before either of you knew it, rain had already started pouring from the sky. Bennett sighed, feeling the raindrops wash away his tears. You couldn't help but watch from a distance as the boy walked around aimlessly in the clearing in front of Vennessa's tree. You flinched at the loud roar of thunder. You recalled Bennett's bad luck and how he'd gotten struck by lightning before, which caused your worry to grow.

All of a sudden, a strike hit Bennett directly, knocking him off his feet and onto his back. You gasped and rushed over, kneeling down to him. He had his eyes open a bit, a depressed look on his face. It hurt. You were always there for him and he knew it.

Even so, you still didn't love him.