(1)

Wild, curly auburn hair flew in the wind as a girl ran down the cobbled, wet street of Garrison Lane. Her smalls heels made loud clicking noises as she ran, her head tipped back as she started to laugh. Close behind her, a girl ran with her, one hand holding the stolen bag of fruit and vegetables, the other trying to hold up her glasses. Her short brown hair, was pulled back into a ponytail.

"Hurry up Tillie". Florence Boswell shouted, turning her head to look at her friend. She smiled widely, her hazel eyes glowing brightly. They turned a corner, pushing their way into a small alleyway. There back's pressed against the wall as they tried to calm their breathing.

They watched as a man ran past them, his apron whipping around him as the wind was forceful. The two girls looked at each other and burst out laughing, their hands going over their mouths as they tried to be quiet.

Florence Boswell, the auburn-haired princess of Small Heath. Well, that's what her best friends would call her. Everyone would stop at times to marvel her beauty. Her bright hazel eyes shined brighter than any diamond in the sky, freckles were scattered across her pale face.

Tillie on the other hand was different from Flo. Yes, she was beautiful, with short dark brown hair and blue eyes. She wore glasses, but Florence still thought her best friend looked beautiful with them on. The two girls had been friends from the day they where born, their mothers being best friends when they were young.

Florence's father was a strong man who worked hard to provide for his son and daughter. The local flower shop was owned by the Boswells, and the business was booming.

"You think he's gone, Flo?" Tillie asked, her hand on her chest.

Flo looked around, eyeing the street. "Yeah, yeah he's gone". She answered. They stepped out of the alleyway, smiling brightly.

"Hey, you". The man shouted from a distance. The first two girls burst out laughing again, as they darted down the road.

Tillie was up ahead this time, her hands clutching the bag with dear life. "Quick in here". Tillie said, as she grabbed Flo's hand. She looked up at the sigh, her eyes going wide. It was the Garrison Tavern, somewhere Flo had never been in.

The two girls made there way in and snorted when they watched him run past the pub, his fat cheeks where bright red.

"My feet are killing me". Flo whined. She blew the hair from her face and turned to look around. The pub was packed with men, who were all drinking and laughing.

"We should get a drink". Tillie said, her smile wide. Flo let out a laugh as she shook her head. "No. No way. We need to go to school, or we'll not only get it by the nuns, but our parents too". Flo whispered.

"Oh live a little Florence. White wine is it? I don't understand, you have Irish blood and you don't like whisky". Tillie muttered, as she made her way to the bar. Flo let out a little laugh, as her friend started to chat up one of the men at the bar, trying to persuade him to buy her their drinks.

Flo turned her head as the doors opened beside her, a gush of wind causing her hair to spin like a mini twister. She watched as everyone went quiet in the bar, everyone minus Tillie as she continued to speak.

"That's so funny. Your very handsome by the way, what was your name again?" She asked. Florence shut her eyes for a moment, a small smile on her face.

Flo's eyes opened, and her breath got caught in her throat as three men walked in. Their suits were neat, not a single crease. Newsboy caps were placed firmly on their heads, all three men had the most beautifullest blue eyes she had ever seen. It was the man in the middle, who's eyes were like a frozen lake.

Another two joined them, much younger than the three men, but only a year or two older then Flo. They too, had pristine suits on, one wore a cap, the other didn't. His dark auburn hair was slicked back, the sides of his head where neatly cut only leaving a little bit of hair.

These men where the Peaky Blinders, the Shelby's.

Flo knew about this family, this gang. Everyone in Birmingham knew who the Peaky Blinders where, and if they didn't they were either new or stupid. Florence knew it was best to stay out of their way, and that's what she did.

Flo's head turned as the two younger boys stood beside her, their eyes on everyone. Tillie, not realising the bar had gone quiet continued to talk.

Flo caught eyes with the younger boy, his blue eyes where dark, his face holding a scowl. His eyes scanned her face, before looking into her eyes again.

"There you are you little bitch". Someone said as they grabbed Tillie's arm at the bar, making Flo lose the eye connection she was having with the boy.

"Shit". Flo whispered. She rushed forwards, grabbing the bag from the ground. Flo kicked his back leg and grabbed Tillie's arm.

Flo let out a laugh as she ran, gently dodging between the two younger Peaky Blinders.

Tillie and Flo laughed loudly as they ran down the street again. "Let's split up. Meet in our special place eh?" Flo asked.

Tillie smiled widely and nodded her head, running off towards the left. Flo turned her head to see the man getting out of the Garrison. She smirked and ran towards the right. She couldn't take her mind of the blue-eyed boy she had briefly met.