(14)

Warm yellow rays wafted through the bedroom window. Dust modules floated in the air. Florence stretched her arms out as she let out a little yawn, her limps stretching.

Her hand moved a strand of hair from her face as she sat up, a small frown on her face. Her head hurt, but it wasn't the worst hangover she ever had.

As the thin cover was pulled from her, the heat from the soaring sun outside hit her bare legs. It was a change in weather from the terrible rain they had the day before.

After having a wash, and getting dressed Flo made her way down the stairs. She was going to have something small to eat and a cup of coffee before opening the store.

The minute she hit the last step, she could feel the atmosphere in the room. From the way her dad was sitting, to the half bottle of whisky on the table, Florence knew that something bad had happened. It doubled when she saw her fathers best friend, and a man Florence hated with a passion sitting with him.

His name was Lee, and he scared Florence.

"I told them, I said I'm not selling. The bastard told me.... I have seventy-two hours to sign the papers over, if not then there will be trouble". Bartley spat.

"Don't sign them. See what they'll do, there all talk". Lee muttered.

Bartley looked up, his eyes on Florence. "You off to work?" He asked.

Florence nodded her head, her eyes only on her father. She didn't want to look at Lee. The want of food and coffee was now out of the window. Her new mission was to get out of this house as fast as she could.

"Right....we'll have a good day and if anyone causes any problems let me know". Bartley muttered. Florence smiled softly and nodded her head.

She turned to walk away but was stopped when Lee spoke. "You not going to hug your uncle Lee?" He asked. She could hear his chair scrapping backwards, meaning he had stood up.

Florence turned around, her eyes on the ground as she walked towards him. His arms wrapped around her, and she felt sick as he rubbed his hands all over her back.

This man was well into his forties, but would continuously creep around Florence, who was still only fifteen years old. Her father didn't see it, or pretended to not see it.

Florence darted to the door, needing fresh air. "Oh Florence". Her father called out.

Florence turned around and nodded her head. "If any of the Shelby family come in asking for me, call me straight away okay?" He asked.

"Okay". Florence whispered.

Florence rushed out of the house and half-ran to the shop. She didn't want to be anywhere near that place, especially with Lee being there.

The day went on slowly, with no customers there was simply nothing to do. Florence was sitting on the stool a book in her hands, when the bell above the door went.

Florence looked up, her eyes meeting Sister Helen's. "Hello, Boswell". She muttered.

Florence stood up and nodded her head. "Sister". She muttered, her hands were clenched shut.

"I'm here to check on the flowers we ordered. If there good enough I'll be taking them today". She said.

Florence turned around and grabbed a box, placing it down on the counter. She watched as Helen looked through, her lips perched.

Sister Helen pushed the book away, her head nodding. "They will do. I hope you have learned your lesson since the last time we saw each other Miss Boswell?" She asked.

Florence's lips were perched, her eyes going to the door as the bell rang. Paul stood there, his arms crossed with a smirk on his face. Flo could make out Finn's hair behind him.

She turned to look at the sister, her face emotionless. "Yes, sister". She answered, pushing the box towards her.

Sister Helen sneered at Florence, snatching the box from the counter. "I'll see you in two weeks then. Hopefully you'll turn up for choir this Sunday". She muttered.

Florence watched as she walked out of the store, glaring at the young men as she passed.

"Hello again". Paul said, a smile on his face. Finn followed him with a look of disgust, Isiah following him.

"Hi". Florence said softly.

Paul smiled and walked towards a display of flowers. Finn stayed where he was, his eyes on Flo. Her eyes turned to look at him, a look of hurt filling her face as she looked away.

"How much for a dozen of roses?" Paul asked.

Florence looked away from Finn, a small smile on her face. "Depends who they're for?" She asked, leaning on the counter.

Paul turned to look at her, a genuine smile on his face. "They're for my mother's grave". He answered.

The smile dropped from Flo's face as she stood up straight. She clenched her lips together and moved towards the flower display. "Free of charge". She whispered.

She grabbed the freshest roses and brought them to the counter.

"No really, I insist on paying". Paul said, reaching into his pocket.

"No really, they are free. Just don't tell my father, I think he'll have a breakdown if he finds out I'm giving out flowers for free". She muttered, a small smile on her face.

She placed the flowers together, wrapping the ribbon around the packaging. "There we go". She said, smiling softly at Paul.

"What happened to your hands?" He asked.

Florence looked down at her fingers and smiled sadly. "I cut them earlier when I was cutting the thorns of the flowers". She answered.

Finn still stood there, not talking. His face was still emotionless, his eyes showing he was bored.

"Are you okay from the other day? Your friends told me about your mother, look I'm sorry and you know from someone who lost their parents at a young age I'm here if you ever need to talk or rant". Paul said softly.

Florence looked up at him, a small smile on her face. "I'm sorry Paul and thank you, that's really sweet of you. And...the same thing goes to you". She whispered.

Paul smiled and nodded his head. "See you around gypsy girl". He said.

Paul walked out first, followed by Isiah, leaving Finn and Florence alone.

Finn looked up at her again, a cigarette hanging loosely from his mouth. He went to turn around but stopped. Paul and Isiah turned their heads to look at him. He nodded his head at them and watched as they continued to walk off.

Florence watched as Finn shut the doors, his body turning to face her.

"I think it's best if we don't see each other anymore. We don't speak when we see each other in public. I won't come here, and you don't go to the garrison. I think it will be better for the two of us". He said.

Florence opened her mouth to speak, but no words came out.

"I'm doing this because you're too good, I can see how scared you get any time I go near you and why should you be around someone that scares you?" He asked, although Finn wasn't sure if he was asking Florence the question or if he was asking himself the question.

He looked up at her to see her slouched, her mouth still open and a single tear sliding down her cheek.

Finn opened his mouth to say something, but decided against it as he opened the door and walked away, leaving Florence with the revelation he gave her.