(34)

Florence lay in her bed, tears streaming down her face. She could hardly move, the pain was excruciating. Flo knew she needed to act out, but she couldn't. She didn't know what to do. Her plan was out the window, she knew her father wouldn't change. The only plan was to now get herself and Daniel out of the house, and somewhere safe.

Her little brother had a sleepover with Graham. Once she dropped him off, she was going to pack all their things and go to the Gold's campsite.

She turned her head as the door opened, a small smile spreading across her face. "Hello". She whispered as Daniel walked in. He smiled widely and rushed to her bed, getting in beside her.

Flo smiled behind the pain, not wanting to tell Daniel his hug was hurting her. "How was school?" She asked, running her fingers through his hair.

Flo listened to everything that Daniel told her, her fingers still running through his hair.

"Flo. What was mum like?" Daniel asked.

Flo looked down at her brother's head and smiled sadly. "I don't really remember much about her if I'm honest. I do remember she had lovely blonde hair, and she always smelt like honey. She was a good cook, and a beautiful singer. I remember her singing before, it was a few weeks after you were born. She was like an angel". She answered.

"Why did she leave us?" Daniel asked.

Flo frowned and shook her head. "I don't know Dan. I remember the day before she told me she loved me, and that she loved you. She said that she was going to take us away with her, move to the countryside. The next day she was gone. All I remember was the smell in the house when I got back from school". She responded.

"What smell?" Daniel asked.

"Dirt. It smelt like the soil from outside. There were moody footprints everywhere. Dad....he said that I wasn't allowed out in the garden at all. He had dug up some of the ground and because it rained it was still wet. All her clothes were gone. Dad said she just packed her things and left". She whispered.

Daniel sat up and looked at Flo. "You're like my Mummy". He said, as he rested his head on her shoulder. Flo frowned slightly, her eyes tearing up. She wrapped her arms around him, and kissed his head softly.

"Let's get you to Mrs Hanson's house, you have a sleepover remember?". She asked.

Flo held Daniel's hand as they walked down the road, his bag in the other. She smiled as he told her about the new toy that Graham had got.

She knocked on the door and smiled when Charlotte answered. "Hello Daniel. He's up in his room". She said softly, a smile on her face. She ruffled his hair as he ran past her.

Charlotte smiled at Flo. "Hello Florence dear, you coming in for a cup of tea?" She asked.

Flo smiled and nodded her head. She stayed for an hour, talking with Charlotte. When asked why she kept wincing, she told her that she was having women problems. Charlotte seemed to believe it as she continued her story about some women from the parish.

After a while, Flo left, giving Daniel a kiss on the forehead before leaving. She wrapped her arms around herself as she walked down the street. She needed to calculate this correctly. Bonnie told her that they moved north of their patch, so if she was correct she knew the exact location they were in.

The Gold's never stayed in one place for too long. They never told anyone about their whereabouts. They were like wind, hard to catch.

"Florence". Someone shouted.

Flo turned her head and let out a sigh as Edgar was following her. She continued to walk, trying to go a bit faster.

"Wait Florence". He shouted.

Flo shook her head, her arms crossed. "I really don't want to talk to you". She shouted back.

She turned the corner, making her way towards Garrison Lane. "Flo please". Edgar cried as he caught up to her, grabbing her arm.

She looked up at him, her eyes wide. "Let go of my arm".

He looked down at her and nodded, but continued to walk beside her. "You look very nice today Flo. Where you off too?" He asked.

"Home".

She stormed off, trying to get away from him. But of course, he followed her. He grabbed Flo's arms, turning her to look at him. "Can we speak please?" He asked.

Flo crossed her arms and raised her eyebrow. "I thought I told you a few days ago I didn't want to talk to you?" She asked.

"You were clearly upset that day, you didn't mean it". He responded.

"I was upset because you wouldn't leave me alone. You insulted my two best friends, one of them being your brother. I'm not interested Edgar, I'm really sorry I don't want to hurt your feelings but I don't like you". She said.

"Look. How about I take you out for dinner Friday night and we can just get to know each other. I promise you, that I'm a good guy. I'll treat you right". He muttered as he rubbed her arm.

"What part of "I don't like you" do you not understand". She shouted, as she slapped away his hand.

Edgar's face changed as it went from happy to angry. "Look, Flo...." He was interrupted as someone joined them.

"She told you that she's not interested so why don't you keep on walking".

Flo turned her head to see Finn standing there, a pissed off look on his face. Behind him stood Arthur, John, Tommy and Michael.

"Really Flo? You're hanging around with the likes of these? They took your father's shop from him and you're still fraternising with the enemy?" He asked, looking down at her.

Flo glared up at him, her eyes harsh. "I'd spend every single day with them if it meant I didn't spend one minute with you. Leave me alone. I don't like you". She snapped.

He shook his head and glared at her. "My feelings aren't fake....I do love you. But I don't love your blood. And it shows, with the people you socialise with". He spat.

Flo looked up at him her eyes wide. "What the hell? What's wrong with my blood?" She asked.

"Really? Your mother was an alcoholic and a whore Flo. She slept around with half the men in Small Heath, nearly everyone's regular at the whore house. She didn't run away like your father told everyone. She got the fucking clap and died. And your father, well he's something else. He's dumb and stupid, he's pathetic and shouldn't be called a man. And your brother, I swear Daniel is a slow imbecile that won't live to his teens". He answered.

Flo placed her hand over her mouth as she saw a fist connecting with Kurt's face, knocking him to the ground. She turned her head to see Arthur clenching his fist, his eyes dark. "Don't you dare speak about her mother like that. She wasn't a whore". He spat. John grabbed his arm, pulling back as he whispered something into his ear. They both turned to look at Florence, their eyes set on her.

Edgar looked up from the ground, his eyes wide as he held his mouth. "Flo". He whispered, his eyes finding hers.

She stood there in shock, her mouth half-open. She had no idea what to do or say.

"Leave her alone". Finn spat as he looked down at Edgar.

He got up from the ground, glaring at Finn as he wiped the blood away from his mouth. He smirked and shook his head. "See you around beautiful". He muttered before walking away.

Florence still stood there in shock, not knowing what to say or do. "Thank you". She whispered to the Shelby's, before rushing off.

Even though she didn't want to, Florence needed to talk to her father.