(38)

Florence woke early the next morning to find that Polly had already taken Daniel to school. A note was left for her, saying that Polly was out for the day at work, and that she would be home late.

Florence walked around the sitting room, her eyes on the grand piano in front of her. She pressed one of the keys, a little ghost smile spreading across her lips.

Her head shot up to the door as it opened, Finn stepping in.

"Hi". She whispered, stepping away from the piano. Her hands were pressed together as she stood straight.

Finn pulled off his cap, and nodded softly at her. "Hello". He muttered.

"Polly's at work right now". She said softly, her eyes not leaving him as he sat down on the sofa. Finn's head nodded as he pulled out a cigarette. "I know. I'm looking after you today". He replied.

Florence raised her eyebrow. "I...I don't need a babysitter". She whispered.

Finn rolled his eyes as he stood up, his arms crossed. "Yeah well.....I never said anything about babysitting you. We all need someone to spend time with now and then don't we". He muttered.

Florence watched as he walked over to the bookshelf, his eyes peering at all the books. "Do you read much?" Florence asked, her voice soft.

Finn shook his head, his eyes turning to look at her. "No, I can't read". He answered honestly. He turned around fully to face her. "I never went to school, I didn't see the point". He continued.

Florence's eyes were soft, her eyes wandering to the piano again. "Do you play?" He asked.

Florence looked up at him again, a small smile on her face. "I used to, haven't really had much time or interest in playing". She answered. Finn nodded his head and moved closer to her. "Will you play me something?" He asked.

Florence nodded her head and sat down on the stool, her fingers gently gliding over the keys. Finn watched her as she played. She looked different when she played, like she was in peace. When she finished her song, she turned her head to look at him, a soft smile on her face. "I'm sorry if I was a bit rusty". She whispered.

Finn shook his head. "No...No you were perfect. Your perfect". He said in a hurry.

Florence smiled as she looked down at her hands, a small blush on her cheeks. "So how's Pol being treating you? Hasn't scared you already has she?" He asked as he leaned on the wall, inhaling the smoke from the cigarette.

Florence looked up at him again, a smile on her face. "No..No she's really nice actually". She answered truthfully. Finn nodded his head and looked around the room, his jaw twitching. Florence didn't know what to say to him, or what to say in general. She had a plan to talk to him, and what to say, but now that he was here she was stuck for words.

Finn looked over at her, his hair was slicked back neatly. Florence decided she preferred it when he had it curly and unkempt. "How are you?" He asked.

"I'm okay". She whispered, her voice small.

Finn nodded his head and cleared his throat. "We...we err moved your mother's body, gonna give her a proper funeral and all when you're ready for it". He muttered.

Florence smiled sadly. "Thank you, Finn". She said. He nodded his head in return, now looking down at the floor. "How's Arthur?" She asked.

Finn smiled for a moment, his head shaking. "Out of all the people right now you're asking how Arthur he is. He's.....not the best at the moment, feeling guilty. He wanted to come and see you, but Tom said not to. That you may need your space". He answered.

Florence stood up, her arms wrapping around her body. "It's not his fault". She whispered. Florence licked her bottom lip and forced a smile. "Finn?" She asked. He looked up at her, his head nodding. "Can we go for a walk please?" She asked.

Finn nodded his head and watched as she rushed off to grab her coat. A few moments later she returned, her eyes on him. They walked out of the house, Finn making sure the door was shut properly. If Polly caught wind that he left the door open she would kill him.

"Where do you want to go?" He asked, his head turning to look at her. His cap was placed on his head again, his hands in his pockets.

"Anywhere". She whispered, her eyes wandering around at people they passed. Finn could tell she was anxious, her head turning at any sound. They got into his car, so he could drop them off at the Garrison. It was a safe enough place for them to be walking.

Once they pulled up outside the Garrison, Finn turned his head to look at her. "You okay? We can go back to Polly's if you like". He said. Florence turned her head to look at him, a small smile on her face. "No...I'm okay..Thank you though". She responded.

Finn nodded his head and got out of the car, rolling his eyes as people moved out of his way. Being the youngest Shelby had its perks at times. But not all the time.

They walked side by side, neither talking. Florence looked around, a small frown on her face as Finn looked straight ahead. "Your anxious, what's wrong?" He asked.

Florence turned her head to look a him. "Why is everyone staring at us?" She asked, her eyes slightly wide. Finn sniffed and looked around, seeing that people were indeed staring at them. Finn turned back to look at Florence. "They're probably wondering why the good catholic girl is walking around with a Peaky Blinder". He answered.

Florence let out a small laugh, her head shaking. "What?" Finn asked, a small smile on his face. Florence turned to look at him again, her smile still on her face. Finn hadn't seen this smile in a long time, and he was happy to see it again. "I'm not a good catholic girl Finn. I abused alcohol and drugs. If the nun's caught wind of that, I think they would be the ones to condemn me to hell themselves". She answered.

Finn rolled his eyes as he handed her a cigarette. "I'll join you in hell then". He muttered as he handed her his pack of matches. Florence smiled at him as she grabbed the matches, their fingers brushing.

"You know......I would have feared for my life being this close to you only a few days ago". Florence said softly, as she handed back the matches. Finn turned to look at her, his eyes were soft. "You still don't?" He asked.

Florence moved closer to him, her hand slipping into his. "No". She whispered.

Finn searched her face for a moment, a small smile spreading across his face. "Come on, I want to show you something". He said as he pulled her along, his hand still holding her own.

Down the road, Polly, Tommy, Arthur and John walked out of the Garrison. Their eyes all latched onto Florence and Finn as they walked off hand in hand.

Polly turned her head to look at Tommy for a moment, her eyebrow raised. Behind her, John and Arthur both had smirks on their faces. "Maybe we don't need to pay a whore to take his virginity then, his girlfriend will be the one". John teased.

Polly turned around and hit John on the back of the head. "Don't talk about your brother like that". She snapped.

John rolled his eyes and walked away with Tommy and Arthur, his head shaking. Polly turned around to look at Finn and Florence once more, a small smile on her face.