(61)

Florence walked into the Garrison, Tillie close to her. A small sigh left Florence's lips, a small frown on her face. "I don't think I can do it". Florence whispered.

Tillie looked up at her friend, her eyes soft. "You can...let me go in first, I'll talk to Isiah, get him to get the boys out so you can talk. You'll need it". Tillie said softly, her hand gently rubbing her back.

Florence nodded her head and sat down, her eyes on the door. Tillie moved forwards and took a deep breath before opening it. She smiled when she saw Isiah, her eyes peering around the room. "Hi guys, can I just talk to Isiah for a moment". She said softly.

Isiah smiled as he stood up, his arm wrapping around her waist as he pulled her in for a hug. "Are you okay?" He asked. Tillie looked up at him, a small smile on her face. "Yeah". She whispered. She grabbed his hand, gently pulling him out of the room.

Florence watched the couple as they stood near the door. Isiah had a small frown on his face as Tillie whispered something to him. His head shot up and his eyes immediately found Florence. He gave her a small nod and then walked off, going back into the room.

Tillie walked over to Florence, her hand going onto her shoulder as she gave her a gentle squeeze. "It's going to be okay, Isiah is going to tell Finn. We will all be out here if you need me at all okay". Tillie said.

Florence nodded, her jaw twitching. "Thank you". She whispered.

Florence took a deep breath as the door opened, one by one the men came out. Isiah was the first to walk over, his hand gently grabbing Florence's face. "Good luck okay, he's in a bit of a mood...but I know you can do it". He said.

Florence smiled up at him, her head gently shaking. "Thanks, Isiah". She said. Florence stood up, her eyes on the door as she walked towards it. Her hand grabbed the cold handle, her lips pressed together hard as she opened it.

She stepped into the room, and the first thing she was greeted with was the strong smell of whisky and cigarette smoke. Florence turned around and looked at Tillie for a moment, before shutting the door.

Florence turned around slowly, her eyes finally finding Finn. He hadn't looked up yet, his eyes were glaring at the glass in front of him. His cigarette was in his mouth. Florence moved over slowly, taking a seat. She kept the distance between them, not wanting to push him or his boundaries.

It was quiet, neither of them spoke. Florence looked down at her coat, gently playing with a bit of the hem that was coming away. Her jaw twitched as she tried to think of what she should say. She had it all planned on her walk here but now she was stuck for words.

Finn finally turned his head to look at her, his eyes on her face. He could see the sad look on her face, the face he always had hated. He liked when Florence would smile, when her eyes would glisten or her nose would twitch. He hated seeing her sad, he hated that he was the main reason for her being sad.

"Would you like a drink?" He asked.

Florence turned to look at him, her head shaking. "No thank you". She answered.

Finn nodded, his hand grabbing his own drink. "How was your day with Tillie?" He asked.

Florence smiled softly. "It was good thank you". She answered. After that it went quiet again, the two of them just sitting there. Florence turned to look at Finn, who seemed to be staring at one spot.

"Can I go first?" She asked.

Finn turned to look at her, his head nodding. "Of course". He answered.

"I...that day when Bonnie was walking me back, it was just that. We have been friends since we were children, our mothers were best friends, and his father was very close to my mother too. We have been friends for ages, and when we walked back we were talking about things that happened in the past. I know to you it may have looked that way, but I promise you it wasn't like that...You are clearly sad, your brothers and aunt were taken away from you and when they came back they left again. And I'm sorry Finn, but you could have talked to me but you kept pushing me away and I didn't know what to do". She said.

Finn stayed quiet instead of speaking. He didn't know what to say. He didn't want to snap or say the wrong thing. Everything she just said was right, he was sad that he lost his family again and he did push her away.

"And today with Edgar....yes I know I've had my problems in the past with him, and he hasn't always been a nice person. But this morning he told me....he told me that he loved me yes. But I never said it back, I don't feel that way". She said.

"So why did he tell you he loved you?" He asked.

"Because he's dying Finn. He's been given a month to live, and I don't know...I can't answer for him. But he wanted to get things off his chest, he wanted to talk and that was it honestly". She answered.

Finn nodded his jaw twitching slightly. He turned to look at Florence again. "I...I think it's best that we just stay friends. I...I will only end up hurting you and the thing is...I'm not good for you Florence. You know what I do, I'll just end up getting you hurt and that's the last thing I want. You deserve someone who will look after you and give you a better life". He said.

Florence frowned as she looked at him, her head shaking. "But... you're the one I want Finn". She whispered.

"I can't..I won't do that to you". He said.

"So why did you kiss me?" She asked.

Finn had two choices. He could tell her the truth, and tell her that he was completely in love with her. Or he could lie. He could make her get over him, so she could move on and be happy.

"Because I was drunk". He answered.

Florence looked away from him, her eyes filling with tears. "What?" She asked.

Finn didn't answer, instead, he poured himself a drink, his eyes shutting. When he heard Florence cry, he felt sick. The sound made his chest hurt and this is not what he wanted.

"Please don't do that". He whispered.

"I can't hold it in anymore....why would you do this? Why would you say that?" She asked.

"Because you wanted the truth". He answered.

Florence nodded, her hand grabbing her bag roughly as she stood up. Finn watched as she stormed out of the room, the door slamming behind her.

For the first time in a very long time, a tear slid down Finn's cheek. And when that first tear came, the rest followed.