(6)

It was a truth universally acknowledged that Edgar Smith was a mean person. He would start fights all the time, sleep around and sometimes hit women. Eddie always said they may share the same blood, same name but he was dead to him.

It was also a known fact, that Eddie's older brother was in love with Florence. Every time he set eyes on the hazel-eyed girl, he would hound her to date him.

Today, was unfortunately one of these days.

Florence stood in the flower shop that her father owned, slowly picking away the dead skin on the side of her nail. She was feeling better now, so that meant she was allowed to work. The bell rang above the door, causing her to look up.

A sigh escaped her lips as she stood up straight. "Hello". She said, her lips perched.

"Florence, just the girl I wanted to see". Edgar said, a smile on his face. Flo took a step back as he leaned on the counter, his eyes not leaving her face.

"Are you here to make a purchase or are you here to bother me?" Florence asked.

"What's your favourite flowers?" He asked, ignoring her question.

"My favourite flowers? I....I like lilies". She answered, a small frown on her face.

"Well can I have your best lilies, please? And may I take you out this Friday night to the movies?" He asked, the smile never leaving his face.

"I....I already have plans this Friday". Flo answered.

Edgar stood up straight, a small frown on his face. "With who?" He asked.

"A...a friend of mine". She answered.

Florence stepped into the corner as Edgar walked towards her, his eyebrow raised. "Is this friend a girl or boy?" He asked. Flo felt her heartbeat racing faster as he stood in front of her now, a angry look on his face.

"A boy". Florence whispered.

She flinched when Edgar held her arms. He had a grip, but not one to hurt her. "Well...I'm sure you can make plans with this friend of yours another day. Come out with me, Florence darling how many times will it take me to convince you that I'm the man for you". He said, a smile on his face.

Florence looked up at him, her eyes were soft. "I'm sorry Edgar, I really am. I....I don't like you like that". She said.

She turned her head as he shouted no. He shook his head, his grip getting tighter. "No...no you don't mean that". He shouted.

The bell went on the door, meaning someone had just walked in. Florence got a whiff of cigarette smoke.

"Can I have some service please?" The deep drawl of Tommy Shelby asked.

Florence looked up at Edgar, her eyes pleading him to let her go. He stepped away, his head shaking. "Six pm Friday night, I'll come and pick you up". He said as he walked out.

Florence shut her eyes for a moment, taking in a deep breath. She walked towards the counter once more and opened her eyes, smiling softly.

"Good morning, how can I help you, Mr Shelby?" She asked.

Tommy walked towards the counter slowly, his eyes wandering around the store. "Is your father in?" He asked.

Florence shook her head. "He's out at the moment with some friends, I don't know when he'll be back". She answered.

Tommy nodded his head and looked down at her. "Can I have a bunch of red roses please?" He asked, blowing smoke into the shop.

Florence nodded her head and grabbed a bunch of already cut roses. Tommy continued to look around the shop, his eyes drifting towards Florence every now and then.

"How long has your father owned this shop now?" He asked.

"Oh...for years now. His father was the one who opened it, and when he died my father took over". She answered.

Tommy nodded his head. "Has he ever thought of selling it?" He asked.

Florence frowned for a moment. She looked down at the roses, her eyes slowly drifting up towards Tommy. "No. No he wants my brother Daniel to take over it one day. It's the only income he has, and the only thing that really stops him from....hitting rock bottom again". She answered.

She placed the bouquet of flowers on the counter and smiled. "Would you like a card with that?" She asked.

Tommy nodded his head. "Yeah, they're for my sister". He muttered.

Florence nodded her head and looked through the cards, grabbing the prettiest one. She slid the card inside and pushed them towards Tommy. "There free". She said softly.

Tommy forced a small smile and grabbed the flowers. "Who gave you the bruise?" He asked.

Florence's hand reached up to her cheek, a sad smile spreading across her face. "My friend. We were playing football and she kicked it a bit too hard". She answered. Florence was too afraid to tell Tommy that it was one of the nuns. She thought he wouldn't believe her.

Tommy of course didn't believe her, but decided to not push the subject anymore. "Well make sure your friend is careful next time". He muttered. He grabbed the flowers and walked out, leaving Florence alone.

The day went by slowly. There were a few sales, and soon it was closing time. After shutting the store, she was once again greeted by Edgar.

"Have you had much thought about our date on Friday?" He asked, following her up the road.

Flo wrapped her arms around herself, trying to speed a little faster.

Outside the Garrison, Finn stood with John, Arthur and Isiah. He was leaning on the car, half-listening to the conversation.

"Oh here comes our Finn's girl". Arthur said, a wide smile on his face.

Finn's head shot up as he watched Florence coming into view, a fed-up look on her face.

"I told you no Edgar, I don't want to go out with you". She replied.

She was stopped as he grabbed her arm, turning her around to look at him. "Please". He whispered, grabbing her face.

Florence pushed him away, her head shaking. "I said no Edgar". She spat.

He grabbed her face again, attempting to kiss her. Florence saw red, which caused her to stomp hard on his foot.

"Just fuck off". She shouted as she stormed off.

Arthur and John both let out low whistles, as Isiah chuckled.

"Found yourself a fiery one there Finn". John said, a smirk on his face.

Finn rolled his eyes but didn't open his mouth. His eyes followed Florence until she was out of sight.