(75)

Florence smiled as Eddie rambled on about something. He kept going on a tangent and it was hard for Flo to keep up with him.

"Anyway, you are more important, how have you been?" He asked, his arm wrapping around her.

Flo smiled, her head resting on his shoulder as she let out a small sigh. "I'm okay Ed, just tired". She answered. She bit the dead skin on her lip and turned to look at her friend. "How is Edgar?" She asked.

Eddie let out a small sigh, a sad look on his face. "Not great if I am honest, he keeps getting weaker each day and it's just weird. Like, I remember when I was five and I used to look up at him, and then when I got older I started to hate him because of the way he treated you and other women and then when he told us he was sick and he was going to die, I felt like that five-year-old again, looking up at my older brother idolising him". He answered.

Florence looked at him sadly, her heart breaking for her friend. She had grown closer to Edgar with his shocking news, and although she had once hated him, she grew herself to like him.

"I'm sorry Ed". She whispered.

Eddie looked down at her, a small smile on his face. "Don't be. It isn't your fault at all". He said.

Florence rested her head on his shoulder once more, and Eddie went on rambling again, trying to forget about the fact his brother hadn't long to live. He didn't want to think about it, as it was too raw and upsetting.

"How are you and Finn?" Eddie asked.

Flo rolled her eyes at the question, her head straight again as they walked. "I don't know. He's fine with me one minute, the next I cease to exist". Flo answered.

She turned her head to smile at Eddie, her eyes soft. "But enough about me. Today is your day". She whispered.

They spent their time down by the canal, back in their usual spot. Between the few drinks they had and the small picnic, they were ready to head back.

"Remember when we were six, and you tripped there and bashed your knee open?" Flo asked, pointing over at the spot. Eddie turned to look, a small smile on his face. "I do, you and Till's couldn't stop laughing at me". He answered, his head shaking.

"Or when you got caught in the window of Tillie's trying to get out?" Flo asked, a small laugh escaping her lips.

Eddie snorted, his eyes shut. "Oh don't remind me, it was so embarrassing". He muttered.

Flo smiled, as she hooked her arm through Eddie's once more, a smile on her face. "I miss those days. When...we didn't have to care about things when we didn't have to worry all the time". Flo whispered.

Eddie smiled down at her, his head nodding. "Joys of growing up. No one told us how hard it was going to be did they?" He asked.

Flo smiled, her head shaking as she looked up at Eddie. "Well...this is me. Tommy said someone would pick me up from the Garrison". She said.

"Want me to wait with you?" Eddie asked.

Flo smiled as she shook her head, her arms wrapping around her body. "No...no you get home to your family. I'll be okay". Florence answered. She leaned forward, going on her tippy toes as she planted a small kiss on his cheek.

"Thank you for today Flo...it has helped". Eddie whispered, his head turning as a car pulled up.

He smiled down at her, his eyes soft as they believed it was one of Tommy's cars.

"You should be going. You know how a certain Mr Shelby worries about you". He said, a smirk on his face.

Florence rolled her eyes, knowing he was talking about Tommy. Since she had moved in with him, he had taken her under his wing. Treating her as if she was his daughter.

The car door opened, and a man stepped out. An unusual hat to the pair was on his head, as it wasn't one of the flat newsboy caps the Peaky Blinders wore. This was a black fedora hat, with a white band around it.

Florence stopped walking as the man pulled something out of his pocket. It was dark, and they couldn't make out his face. They could see he was wearing expensive clothing, a tailored suit fitted his body.

"A message for Thomas Shelby". He said, his accent thick. He wasn't from Birmingham, he was Italian. The same men that they were warned to stay away from.

A single gunshot could be heard in the quiet street. The ringing in Flo's ears. Her eyes were shut, expecting pain to be inflicted on her body.

The sound of the car door slamming shut, and the engine turning on caused her to open her eyes. The breath she was holding was finally let out.

"What the hell was that?" Flo asked Eddie as she turned around to face him.

Eddie looked at Flo, his eyes wide as he held onto his chest. His eyes fell to his hands, causing Flo to do the same. Her eyes widened, her body turning cold as she could see the crimson red flooding through his shirt, onto his hands.

"Eddie". Flo whispered as she rushed forward, her hands catching him as he fell forward.

"HELP". Flo screamed as she held a dying Eddie in her arms.