(24)

Hazel eyes looked into the mirror, at a girl Florence couldn't recognise. She brushed her hair, and pulled it back into a bun. Her forehead had a large bruise on it, her black eye now healing but still there.

The yellow hues stood out against her pale skin, her once bright eyes were now bleak and dull.

Her neat school uniform was on her body, her eyes peering down at her body. Florence played with the fingers, her teeth biting at the dead skin on her lip.

The night was a bad one for Florence. She had a nightmare, something she didn't experience since she was six years old.

Her bedroom door opened, her head-turning. A small smile spread across her face as Daniel walked in. "I'm ready". He said, letting out a toothy grin.

Florence stood up and grabbed her bag, placing the strap over her shoulder. "Come on then". She whispered, holding out her hand.

Florence didn't sleep at all, the dark rings under her eyes getting more prominent.

Flo was anxious about school. She didn't know how to cope. With not having Tillie or Eddie by her side, she was lost.

"Are you not having any food?" Daniel asked as they walked down the stairs. Flo's eyes landed on her fathers figure. His body was lying on the sofa, two empty bottles of gin were on the ground.

"I'm not that hungry". She whispered.

Florence walked Daniel to school, a sad smile on her face as she listened to him speak. Daniel had no idea what was happening at home right now, and she wanted to keep it that way. Her main goal now was to keep him safe.

"Right you have a good day, and I'll see you soon". She muttered, kissing him softly on the forehead. Daniel smiled up at her and turned his head, running off to join his friends.

Florence wrapped her arms around herself and started to make her way to her own to school. Her hat was placed firmly on her head, her bag thrown over her shoulder.

Flo looked down at the ground as she walked, she was lost in her own thoughts.

"Thought you might have been dead or in a hospital or something. But then I had Tillie crying her eyes out to me, saying you said you didn't want to be friends with her anymore".

Flo looked up, to meet the harsh eyes of Isiah. Beside him stood Finn, who looked expressionless as usual.

"I need to get to school". Flo muttered as she tried to move past him.

"No. No this can wait". Isiah said as he grabbed her arm, pulling her back.

"What?" She asked, her eyes harsh.

"Don't what me". Isiah snapped, his finger in her face. Flo stepped away, a small frown was on her face.

"Why have you stopped talking to them? What have they done to you? Saying they're dragging you down? That's a low blow". Isiah asked, his eyes angry.

Flo didn't answer, her chest started to tighten. She couldn't tell them. There was no way she could tell anyone. Who would even believe her?

"Isiah, why are you talking to her for?" Tillie asked as she joined the two boys. She wrapped her arm around his waist, a small frown on her face.

"I want to know why she's acting like a stuck up bitch. Go on. Tell us. Why aren't you speaking? You've been a loudmouth before so what's changed now?" He shouted, getting into her face.