(7)

Smoke swirled in the air as Florence leaned on a wall, a cigarette in her hand. She inhaled the smoke and blew it out, watching it fly away.

"Those kill you". A voice muttered from behind her.

Florence turned her head, her eyebrow raised. "Really? How many packs do you and your brothers go through a day?" She asked.

Finn raised his eyebrow, his hands in his pockets. He looked her up and down, taking in her appearance. Her shirt was neatly tucked into her skirt, her school blazer fitted perfectly. Her little white socks were adorned with her black shoes.

"You know....many people don't get away with talking to me like that". He stated.

Florence snorted, her head nodding. She turned to Finn a small smirk on her face. "You going to shoot me, Mr Shelby?" She asked.

Finn rolled his eyes as he shoved her, watching as her back hit the wall. "Shut up". He muttered.

Florence rolled her eyes, her back still against the wall. "Make me". She whispered. Finn raised his eyebrow, his two hands coming to rest on either side of her head.

"Oh, I will". He muttered. He smirked as Florence became uncomfortable, her cigarette dropping to the ground. "What's wrong? You scared?" He asked.

"No". Florence croaked out.

"Liar". Finn whispered.

Florence's hands raised as they placed themselves upon Finn's chest. He frowned looking down at her hands, his frown dropping into a scowl as she pushed him away.

"I'm going to be late for school". She stated, her cheeks red.

Finn smirked, his head turning as he watched her grab her bag from the floor. "I'll walk you". He said, as he grabbed her bag from her hands.

"What...no". Florence muttered as she went to grab her bag. Finn was quicker as he gave her a small push.

"Why you embarrassed to be seen with me, Boswell?" He asked, his face serious as he turned to look at her.

"What...no it's not that. You know what people are like they talk". She answered, her cheeks still red.

Finn nodded his head as they continued to walk. "Oh I know what it is. You think people will talk about the fact the good catholic girl is walking with a bad Shelby boy". He said.

Florence looked at him, her eyes soft. Finn nodded his head as he looked ahead. "You know...you shouldn't care what people think about you. The only person who should care is yourself". He said, his head turning to look at her.

"So you don't care what people think about you?" She asked.

Finn shook his head. "Why should I? The only people that care for me are my family and close friends. I don't need anyone else's approval or opinion". He answered.

"Do you care about what I think?" She asked.

Finn frowned, his head turning to look at her. "No". He answered. Florence nodded her head, and looked down at the ground.

"I do care what people think about me. I always have". She whispered.

Finn licked his bottom lip, a small sigh coming from his mouth. "Are you asking me to tell you what I think about you?" He asked.

Florence looked up at him, her eyes soft. "No, but I'd like to hear it". She answered.

Finn nodded his head, handing over her bag. "I'll meet you out here after your finish school, then we can talk". He said as he walked off. Florence frowned as she watched him walk away.

She turned and entered the school grounds, her blood boiling when she saw Sister Helen. "I hope you're not seeing that Shelby boy Miss Boswell". She announced.

Florence looked up, her small fist clenched. "Of course not Sister". She replied.

"Good. Now off you go, and don't cause any trouble today we don't want a repeat of last time do we?" She asked.

"No sister". Florence answered as she walked away.

Tillie wasn't at school today, her entire family including herself all caught a sickness bug which meant she wouldn't have her best friend with her today. Eddie also wasn't at school, so that's why they didn't walk together.

Florence sat down, pulling out her pen and paper. Her textbook came out next. She hardly listened, her thoughts of Finn. She didn't understand this boy and where he came from.

For fifteen years Florence lived in Birmingham, she had seen him near enough every day but they never interacted. Not until now.