(30)

Daniel was staying at Mrs Hanson's house for two days, so Florence was alone. She was currently out walking, not wanting to be in the house. Even with her father gone, the simple bang would make her jump.

She made her way down towards the canal, the only place she could find peace at the moment. Her eyes wandered down on the boats that passed, wondering how their lives were.

It was cold out, the weather changing from the warm morning. Flo only wore a thin dress, but at that moment she didn't feel the cold. She didn't feel anything.

Florence sat down, looking into the water. The water calmed her down, making her think more clearly. She came to decision, when her father returned she was going to give him an ultimatum. He needed to change his ways or she was gone. She was going to pack Daniel's and her belongings and leave him, just like their mother did.

Florence was so lost in thought, that she didn't even know that someone had joined her.

"I come here sometimes, to look out at the canal and the boats that pass. I have a history with this place. A dark history". A voice said from behind her.

Flo smiled sadly and nodded her head. "I come here too. The tunnel under there used to be my spot with Tillie and Edward. It's not like that anymore, sometimes I sit here for hours, just thinking". She whispered.

A small frown spread across Flo's face. "Do you.....do you ever think that people's lives would be better of without you? If one day they woke up, and you were just......gone?" She asked.

Tommy threw his cigarette to the ground and pulled off his coat. He stood behind her, wrapping it around her shoulders.

Flo turned her head to look at him as he stood beside her, his eyes on the boats below them.

"Yeah. All the time". He answered. He turned to look at her, his bold blue eyes searched her face. "Is that why you're here? To end yourself?" He asked.

Flo frowned and looked away. "No. I....I can't leave Daniel. I'm the only person that's really there for him. He..he wouldn't be able to get on without me there". She answered.

Tommy nodded and licked his bottom lip. "Why are you here?" She asked.

"Need to clear my mind. Something is going down soon, something with my family. I need to think everything through. Think about what I need to say, how to say it". He answered.

Flo looked up at him, a small frown on her face. "What's happening?" She asked.

Tommy smiled slightly and shook his head. "I can't tell you that love". He answered.

Flo nodded her head and looked down at the boats again.

"Word of advice Florence". He said after a while.

Flo nodded and looked up at him, her eyes soft.

"Your father was right, staying away from me and my family. It's the best thing to do. We...we're not good people, and you know that. We're dangerous, and we have a lot of enemies. It's best...if you don't get involved. For your safety".

Flo looked at him and then down at the water. They didn't speak after that, they just enjoyed the silent company, and the sound of nature.

Flo left first, handing Tommy back his coat. "Thank you for your coat and the talk Mr Shelby. I hope whatever is happening with your family works out good". She said softly.

Tommy grabbed the coat and looked down at her. "Thank you, and Florence. Daniel isn't the only one who needs and loves you. There are more people than you realise that do love and care for you. Whatever is happening right now, in your head and your life......don't throw it away with alcohol and drugs. People do want to help you, I think you just need to open your eyes and see that". He muttered.

Flo smiled softly at him, and walked away. She didn't go home straight away, she continued to walk.

She knocked on the door and smiled. "Hello, stranger". Patrick said, a small smile spreading across his face.

"Come in". He muttered, stepping aside.

Florence knew what Tommy said to her was right, but at that moment she needed that final escape for the day.