(4)

Flo rolled her eyes as she could hear shouting coming from downstairs. "Florence Boswell, if you don't get your arse down here right now, your never going out ever again". Bartley Bowell shouted.

Flo grabbed her bag and walked down the stairs. "You don't have to shout father dearest. I'm sure the whole street can hear you". She muttered.

Bartley placed his hands on his hips, his eyes sending daggers her way. "Want to explain to me why the school wrote to me saying you walked out of school, and then never bothered showing up at all the next day?" He asked.

It was Monday, which meant school. Florence knew she was in for it when she got in. After Tillie was telling her how they were whispering something on their way back, Florence knew they were planning something.

"They attacked a young defenceless girl dad. I couldn't stand there and watch them do that". She cried.

Bartley sighed and held her shoulders. "How many times have I told you to not get involved with other peoples problems, let them sort it out themselves". He whispered.

Flo shook her head as she stepped back. "I can't....I can't just stand there and watch as a kid getting beaten dad. She's so young, and so scared. I don't care about me, I'll look after her and I'll do whatever I can". She snapped.

Bartley sighed and held his daughter again. "I don't want to see you getting hurt that's all. From now on, try and hold that anger in whilst you're at school and let it out when you're down at the canal". He said.

Flo nodded her head and grabbed her bag. "I'm going to be late". She whispered.

Florence walked to school with Tillie and Eddie again, the two of them laughing loudly. Florence couldn't get Anne out of her head.

"You need anything from the shop?" Tillie asked. Florence shook her head as she leaned on the wall, gently biting away the dead skin by her thumb. A frown formed on her face as she saw people moving fast, her head turning to look at three out of four Shelby brothers waking up the road.

John had a massive smile on his face, like he didn't have a care in the world. Arthur stood in the middle, a stony look on his face. And then there was Finn, who walked beside them, a cigarette hanging from his mouth.

He turned his head as he walked past, his eyes meeting her own. Florence's hands were placed firmly against the wall, her breathing becoming uneven.

"I can't wait to leave school". Tillie cried as she hooked her arm through Florence's, causing her to jump. Eddie stumbled out of the shop, a loud yawn ripping through him.

They continued their walk to school, and Florence could help and worry about Annie.

Eddie kissed the two girls cheeks as he dropped them off outside their school. As they walked in, they both noticed the Mother Superior at the gates, Sister Helen was with them.

Flo kept her head high, not caring that they were looking at her. She didn't even cry out in pain as she was hit in the back of the legs with a cane, which sent her to the ground. Flo's knees were all cut, and she could feel the stinging sensation.

"Should be more careful you stupid girl". Sister Helen spat.

Flo's hands were placed on the ground, her lips clenched shut. She was angry, but she knew she couldn't say anything. Florence let out a loud groan as she was kicked in the stomach.

"Get to class now". Sister Helen roared.

Tillie stood there, her eyes on Flo. Florence could see her friend wanted to stay, but when she nodded her head telling her she was fine she rushed into the school with tears in her eyes.