(20)

Fog loomed over Small Heath, like the fiery gates of hell had opened, flooding it with smoke. Florence was still out, not returning home as she feared her life.

Flo could see the anger and venom dripping from her fathers eyes as he spotted her with the people he warned her to stay away from. Maybe things wouldn't be so bad, if she went home maybe things would be okay. If she told him the truth, and how she tried to go he would believe her. That's what her mind told her anyway. Her heart and the dark angry eyes told her otherwise.

Florence walked into the small tunnel by the canal, and sat down on the cold concrete floor. Her knees scrunched up into her chest, her arms wrapping around her legs.

As she shut her eyes, a single tear slid down her cheek. Flo wanted everything to be okay, to go back to normal. She wanted this to be a bad dream, to wake up tomorrow with her father smiling, going to the shop.

Florence knew she should grow up, stop living in this imaginary world where everything would be okay.

A set off footsteps behind her made her jump, her blood run cold. Fear flooded her veins, what if her father had found her.

Flo got to her feet, running as fast as she could. The fog was too thick, and if her father didn't find her, then the small narrow grass land would certainly kill her. Maybe falling into the depths of the water would  be better.

Florence let out a blood curdling scream as she ran into someone's arms, her body shaking. Her eyes looked up, and met the blue eyes that haunted her thoughts.

"Florence". Finn muttered, his hands holding her arms.

Florence turned around to see a man walking towards them, her hands clinging onto Finn's coat. "Help me". She whispered, her hands holding his coat even tighter. A small frown etched on her face as a man walked past, his dog trailing beside him.

It wasn't her father at all.

Flo turned her head to watch the man as he walked past, the panic slowly falling from her face. Her eyes finally meeting Finn's again. His eyes where set on her bruised eye, his jaw twitching.

"Get off". Florence whispered, pushing Finn away. She wrapped her arms around her body, the cold air and the fear making her shiver.

She turned around, her feet slipping on a wet patch. This was it, she really was going to die. She was going to loose her life to the depths of the cold water.

Finn's hand shot out as he grabbed her arm, heaving her back up. Once again she collided with Finn's chest, this time his arms wrapping around her waist. Her small fists clenched his coat as she looked up at him, her eyes mixed with fear and hurt.

"I know you hate me right now, but just trust me okay? I'll get you out of here alive". He muttered as he grabbed her hand.

Florence raised her other hand, grabbing Finn's arm. She didn't really know this place in the dark and especially in the fog, but Finn seemed to know his way around the place like the back of his hand.

Florence knew they where out of the canal now, her hands slipping away from Finn's.

"Wait". He shouted, grabbing her arm once again. He turned Florence around, pulling her back to him.

"What happened? Who did that to your eye?" He asked. Florence flinched as Finn's hand gently cupped her face.

Florence looked up at him, her head shaking. "Nothing. I tripped over one of Daniel's toys, and fell. Why can't everyone leave me alone". She snapped, a single tear sliding down her cheek.

Finn sighed and grabbed her arm again, pulling her back to him. "People aren't leaving you alone, because believe it or not love people do care about you". He muttered, as he wiped her tear away. "What happened?" He whispered.

Florence scoffed as she looked at Finn, her eyes harsh. "What...do you care about me Finn? Is that why you we're going to shoot me?" She asked.

Finn let out a sigh, his eyes shutting. "I hope you know your really infuriating". He muttered.

"Likewise". Florence whispered, her hands prying Finn's hand away.

"I'm going home, and I mean this now. Leave me alone. Stay away from me, and I'll stay away from you". She spat.

Florence was walking away, her arms wrapped around her body. She stopped when Finn said something.

"What?" She asked, turning around to look at him.

"Did your father do this to you? Is that why your saying you fell, to protect him?" He asked.

Florence shook her head. "No...no he did not. Don't you dare spread accusations like that". She snapped, her eyes harsh.

Finn raised his eyebrow, his body slowly walking towards her. He was now standing right in front of Florence, there faces close.

"Do you still think I'm an asshole?" He asked.

Florence looked at him with a small frown on her face, her eyes brewing with tears. "No". She whispered.

Finn had a expression on his face, a expression that Florence could not read.

"Why?" He asked, it came out like a whisper.

"Because I don't. Your.......your..." Florence couldn't answer, her words stuck as she looked into his eyes.

"Let me walk you home". He said, his hand reaching out.

Florence shook her head, backing away slightly. "No". She whispered.

"Please Florence, it will be safer if I walked you home. You have no idea who's out here at night".he said softly.

"I said no Finn". She cried.

"Why not?" Finn asked.

Because my father would most likely kill me if he saw, she thought to herself. "Because.....you know why Finn. My life is ruined because of you and your family, and right now your not healthy for me". She answered.

"Did the stars tell you that?" Finn snapped.

"No....I can see it for myself. I'm not a little girl Finn, I know someone bad when I see them. One minute your horrible to me, giving me dirty looks, saying horrible things or not saying anything at all. You place a gun to my head. And then at times, like now, you actually act like you care. That you like me. When we know the truth, you don't like me. You hate me Finn. And that's fine. So please, just please leave me alone". She cried.

Finn watched as the young girl ran off, going straight into the fog and out of sight.

A look of guilt appeared on Finn's face, his head shaking slightly. He, himself didn't understand the way he felt. There was times where he couldn't stand to be around Florence, her kindness and innocence made him feel sick. But then there was times, where he craved to be near her.

Finn shoved his hands into his pocket as he walked home, his head handed as he walked. He needed to get his head out of the gutter, and see the real world.

And he needed to figure out what it was brewing in his chest every-time he saw Florence.