(65)

Everyone that Florence knew was there. Even Johnny Dogs attended. Everyone wore black, there was no colour in sight. But why would there be? Today wasn't a day for celebration, it was a day for remorse.

The caravan, where lay John's now cold body stood a few meters away from her. Flowers adorned the outside, where people lay them as a sign of respect. The family had laid their letters, their final words to John. Inside, were all his prized processions. His wife, Esme was nowhere to be seen. Florence felt bad for her, watching her husband die in front of her the way she did was clearly heartbreaking and traumatising.

Tillie and Edwards stood beside Florence, a few steps away stood Arthur and Finn. Beside Finn, stood Isiah. He tried his hardest over the past few days to be there for his friend. Finn, being the youngest had always idolised his brothers. More than he let on, and now one of them was taken away from him. This time for good.

"This is so sad". Tillie whispered, her head shaking slightly. She held a single rose in her hand, her eyes on the Shelby family. Polly walked forwards, her eyes on no one as she sat down. This woman had just lost her nephew, a boy she saw as a son. Her actual son was lying in a hospital bed. Most of the bullets were spent, passing through John into Michael.

Polly took her seat, Charlie and Curly stood beside her, and the first placed his hand on her shoulder gently.

Jeremiah Jesus walked over, Tommy by his side as the two men talked in low tones. Florence turned her head, her eyes finding Arthur's. The man gave her a small simple sad smile, one that Florence tried to return.

"You may place any flower, letter or belonging of John down now". Jeremiah said.

Florence walked forwards, placing a bouquet of flowers down, her eyes on the floor as she shut her eyes. She didn't really know John that well, as she grew more closer to his three brothers, but that didn't mean she wasn't going to miss him. She liked him.

Florence took a step back, her head turning as someone stood beside her. Finn placed a letter down, his eyes on the ground. He took a deep breath before stepping back, his eyes finding Flo's for a moment. He gave her a small nod before walking back to his original spot. Florence walked back, standing still with her hands clasped.

"This is how John wanted to go. On the smoke. And the truth is...we died together before. Arthur, John, Freddie Thorne, Jeremiah, Danny Whizzbang and me". Tommy muttered.

"We were cut off from the retreat. No bullets left, waiting for the Prussian Cavalry to come and finish us off. And while we waited...Jeremiah said "We should sing in The Bleak Midwinter". But we were spared. The enemy never came. And we all agreed...that everything after that was extra. And when the time came...we'd all remember". Tommy said.

"You remembered that God spared you". Polly whispered loud enough for everyone to hear. "But what did you do with the extra time that he had given you, eh Thomas?" She asked.

Arthur stepped forwards, ignoring his aunt's words to his brother. Everyone watched as he pulled out a matchbox. When the match struck, and was dropped, John was finally at peace. Florence watched as the fire grew more, and the smoke started to rise higher and higher.

It all happened suddenly for anyone to comprehend. A single gunshot went off, and everyone dropped. A few screams could be heard. Eddie wrapped his arms around the two girls, trying his hardest to protect them from whatever danger was about to occur.

"At ease! At ease!" Tommy shouted. It was only Arthur and Tommy who were standing.

"Do not return fire. I repeat, do not return fire. The men doing the firing are on our side". Tommy shouted.

Florence moved her head to look up, her eyes going wide in shock.

"I took the trouble....of getting an invitation to Aberama Gold". Tommy announced.

Tillie and Eddie looked at Florence, small frowns on their faces. She looked at them, her head shaking. She had no idea.

"Oh fuck. Now it's begun". Johnny muttered.

"You put it out in the open on purpose. You used John's funeral like a fucking beacon". Polly gasped.

"We were never in danger Polly". Arthur muttered.

"You set a trap". Polly snapped.

A hand was placed in front of Florence's face, her eyes looking up to meet who it was. "Hello". Bonnie said, a small smile on his face. Flo smiled as she slipped her hand into his, allowing him to help her up. "Hi, Bon". She whispered.

Flo turned her head as she could immediately feel daggers being sent her way. She looked at Finn to see her glaring at the two of them, Isiah stood behind him whispering in his ear, trying to calm him down. When Finn turned around and stormed off, Florence let out a small sigh.

"We'll talk later yeah?" She asked Bonnie. He nodded his head and watched as Florence ran after Finn.

"Finn". She called, trying to keep up with him.

"Finn". She shouted louder this time, grabbing onto his arm.

Finn turned around, his eyes thunderous. "What?" He snapped. Flo let go of his arm, her own arms wrapping around her as she tried to shield herself from the cold.

"I...I didn't know he was going to be here". She answered.

Finn nodded his head as he pulled out his cigarettes, a deep sigh came from him. "Yeah sure, is that is?" He asked.

"No...I know it's stupid..but I wanted to see if you were okay". She answered.

Finn looked at her for a moment, before looking at the Gold's who were currently talking to Tommy and Arthur.

"Just swell sweetheart. Now why don't you go running back to lover boy". He snapped. Florence watched as he walked away, his head rolled as he walked and Flo knew he was in a bad mood.

"You coming?" Tillie asked.

"Yeah..in a second". Florence whispered as she watched Finn walk up the hill and out of sight.