(69)

Florence walked into the shop, her eyes wide as she looked around. She knew all about the shop, hearing the boys talk about it constantly. But she never saw it with her own eyes.

"Hi dear". Lizzie said softly, a small smile on her face. Florence turned around to look at Lizzie, the corners of her mouth rising slightly. "Hi, Lizzie". She whispered.

"Tommy told me you're going to be with us today. That's good, gets you away from the boys for a bit and with us woman eh?" Lizzie asked.

Florence nodded, her coat now on the back of the chair. "What would you like me to do?" Florence asked.

Lizzie grabbed Florence's hand, leading her to where the drinks were kept. "I know it's a bit early, but we might need one". She muttered. Florence nodded and gave Lizzie a small smile as she handed her a drink. "What did you do when you worked for your dad?" Lizzie asked.

Lizzie froze after she said those words, her lips clenching together. "I'm sorry". She whispered.

Florence looked up at her, a small smile on her face as she shook her head. "It's okay, I gotta talk about him sometimes haven't I?" She replied.

Florence took a sip from her drink, a small sigh escaping her lips. "Well...I used to close up, and do cash ups. I used to check the books too, making sure that all payments for the month had been made". Florence answered.

Lizzie smiled, her head nodding. "Well, Tommy did tell me that you were good with numbers too. That you're a very smart girl". Lizzie said, as she pulled her over to a long desk. Florence turned her head as the door opened.

Polly walked in slowly, a cigarette hanging loosely from her mouth. "Hello, Pol". Lizzie muttered, her head nodding to the older woman. Polly nodded her head back at Lizzie, her eyes finding Florence's.

"Let me look at you". She said.

Florence slowly walked over to Polly, her glass being placed down on the table. Polly gently placed her hands on her face, her eyes shutting for a moment. "I had a talk with your mother...when I was at home after my near death. She...she wanted to thank me for saving you...and she wanted to let you know that she is so so proud of you and that she loves you and Daniel so much and she's sorry". She whispered, her eyes opening.

Florence looked at Polly, her eyes wide. Polly pulled her in for a hug, her hands gently rubbing her back. "I've missed you Pol". Florence whispered.

"I've missed you too my child". She whispered back.

Polly pulled away, her eyes landing on the table. "Is that it?" She asked Lizzie.

Lizzie nodded her head, handing over a large book. "Yeah, all John's numbers and accounts. Tommy wants Florence to go over them and see if they all match". Lizzie answered.

Polly nodded, her eyes on the book as she opened it. They watched as her fingers trailed over his writing, a sad smile on her face. "My sweet sweet boy". She whispered, her head shaking. A sigh escaped Polly's lips as she turned to look at Florence. "Good luck with reading this, John was known for his terrible writing". She muttered, before walking away.

Lizzie pulled a seat out for Florence, and sat beside her. The two talked over what she was meant to do for ten minutes, and soon she was left alone to work. A cup of tea was placed in front of Florence by Polly. When Flo looked up with a smile, it dropped as she saw the look on Polly's face.

"I said to Arthur while I'm stuck in this fucking place I want something to keep my mind busy". Linda muttered as she dropped her bag and coat on the table.

It went quiet for a moment, Polly and Lizzie both looked at each other for a moment, before looking at Linda again.

"What are you going to take bets?" Polly asked, her eyebrow raised.