(71)

The next day, Tommy insisted on Florence joining him. She sat in front of him, looking through the book again. He had marked areas that he really wanted her to look at.

Every now and then Tommy would look up at Florence, to see her head in the book. Throughout the night, he checked on her. At one point she was quiet, and although he knew Florence would never do that he had to check. Of course, he would never tell Florence that he checked on her.

"I....I don't want to stick up for my brothers. I hardly ever do, but Finn...he's a good lad. And he makes stupid decisions. I heard what was said last night, and I think you are both so stubborn and so stupid. I think you either have to sit down and talk like adults, or just cut each other out of each others lives". He said.

Florence looked up at him, a small frown on her face. "I...Your right". She whispered.

"Tom". Someone said, making them both look at the door.

Florence had a small frown on her face as a woman walked in, her bag tight in her hands. Florence closed the book, her eyes on Tommy again.

"Good morning Mrs Ross". Tommy muttered.

"Have a seat". Tommy said, pointing to the chair beside Florence. Flo moved slighty out the way, more towards Tommy.

"Thank you for seeing me Mr Shelby. I know how busy you are". Mrs Ross whispered.

"How can I help you?" Tommy asked.

Florence looked at the woman, her eyes on her face. She tried to think of where she heard the name Ross before, and where she had seen this woman.

"Well, you see, tomorrow would have been my son's 21st birthday....had he lived. And I'm having a bit of a thing. Just sandwiches and beer and looking at old photos. And, as a gesture...I thought I would invite your brother, Arthur". She said. Florence frowned when the woman looked down nervously, before looking up again.

"A gesture of what, Mrs Ross?" Tommy asked.

"Not exactly forgiveness. But something like that. And also it's a way of saying thank you to the Shelby family for helping me and my children get by since the death of my Edward". Mrs Ross said.

That's when it hit Florence. She heard about this, someone that worked at the boxing club had let it slip to her father one day. It was one of his warnings that the family where bad and would kill you in a heartbeat.

"That's very kind of you. That's very kind. I will let Arthur know". Tommy muttered.

"It'll be at my house at midday. He should come at midday". She said.

Florence and Tommy both looked at each other for a moment. Florence wasn't that dumb to see through the womans lies. It was clearly at set up, she was planning something.

"Your house, midday tomorrow, all right. One of us will be there". Tommy muttered.

Florence watched as the woman's face changed, her eyes tearing up. "It ought to be Arthur". She said. Tommy looked at her for a moment, his eyes peering into her own. "Goodbye Mrs Ross". He muttered.

Tommy watched as she walked away, his mouth slightly open. He looked at Florence, who was looking at Mrs Ross as she walked away. The door shut with a click and the room completely silent.

"Speak". He said as he sat back in his seat.

"What?" Florence asked, a frown on her face.

"I asked for you to be in this buisness, I've given you work to do. You have proved that your good for this job, so speak. Tell me what your thinking". He answered.

Florence licked her bottom lip, the book now being placed on the table. "Well...a few years ago Arthur killed her son, in the boxing ring. Only a few people know about this, my father and one of his friends included. You have been giving her money so she can get by, but she's still clearly angry as she lost her boy. Somehow she has come into contact with the Italians, and she is using her house, and her son's birthday as a trap to get Arthur, so he can be the next to be killed. But the thing is she lives Artlitery square, and there's two ways into there. So they can come from anywhere". Florence said.

"How do you know this?" Tommy asked.

"I used to deliver flowers remember. I was trying to think of where I remembered the name Ross from, and that's why". Florence answered.

Tommy nodded his head as he stood up, grabbing his coat. "Your with me tomorrow. We will meet at Charlie's yard at 10am. You can have a early day, if you see Arthur...send him here". Tommy muttered.

Florence nodded and stood up. "Oh and Florence...now that she's seen your face you have to be super careful. She may give your description to the Italians, so watch your back". Tommy muttered, as he walked over to her.

"Take this". He said, as he handed her a gun.

"I...I've never shot one before". She muttered.

"That's okay, get down to Charlie's and he will teach you". He said.

Florence nodded her head as she tucked the gun in her pocket, her eyes on Tommy. "Everything will be okay won't it?" Florence asked.

Tommy gave her a tiny smile as he nodded his head. "Yeah". He answered. His answer didn't convince either of them.