(54)

The sound of loud cries made Florence's head hurt, the smell of the fire soon burning out caused her nostrils to flare. Tillie's mother had taken up an unexpected illness that had killed her during the night.

Like any family in the community, the burial was straight forwards. A small caravan, full of Clementina's belongings was set on fire.

Florence turned her head to look at Tillie. Her friend stood there, her mouth slightly open. Florence knew that Tillie was being strong, that she was had to be strong for her siblings.

Her hand slipped into her friend's hand, a small squeeze was given before looking away. Finn and Isiah stood not far away, their hands in their pockets.

Isiah's eyes were on Tillie the entire time, a look of grief and sadness written over his face. All he wanted to do in that moment was hold her, to tell her she was going to be okay. But he knew his nice words wouldn't go anyway with someone overcome with grief.

Eddie stood on the other side of Tillie, his hand on the small of her back. He too was unsure of what to do or say. Tillie didn't show as much emotion as the two other friends, and they knew if someone was all over her, it would set her off.

All they could do was be there for their friend, and when she was ready, she would one to them.

Florence turned to look at her friend again, who still had not shed a tear. Sometimes Florence wondered what was going on in her friend's head, why she was strong, especially in these times.

Tillie looked at Florence, her eyes shutting for a moment. "Thank you". Florence frowned at her friend. "For what?" She asked.

"For being here". Tillie simply answered.

It was then that Florence knew they all needed each other equally. It wasn't that one needed the more than the other. They were a group, a rock.