(63)

Florence looked up from her book to see Tommy standing over his desk, a small sigh escaping his lips. "You okay?" Florence asked.

Tommy looked over at her, his head nodding. "I'm okay". He muttered.

They both looked up as the door opened, Frances had walked in. "The post has arrived Mr Shelby". She said. She looked over at Florence and gave her a small smile, which Flo returned.

Tommy took the post and gently threw it on his desk, his eyes still on the paper. "I'm sorry to keep asking, but the chef needs to know how many for dinner tomorrow. He's new. He's foreign and he gets very upset". Frances said.

Tommy looked up at Frances, his head nodding. "Right. Well, you tell the chef there'll be 29 guests for Christmas dinner tomorrow". Tommy answered.

Florence frowned, her eyes now on Tommy.

"27? Family?" Francis asked.

"Yep, I thought Charlie could do with some company, so I asked Johnny Dogs if he knew anyone who would like to eat goose....and he said that he knew 26. Tell chef I want ten geese, a buck cut into steaks, some trout from the river.". Tommy answered, his back facing the two women as he looked out the window.

"Fetch whisky, brandy and wine from the cellar. Best we have". Tommy muttered.

"There will be children?" Frances asked.

"Lots of children. With Johnny's tribe, new ones might be born on the floor. And with Daniel here too. So have mops and buckets ready eh?" He responded, now turning to face her again. "And I want you at the table, Frances, so make it 30". He said.

"I will be busy". Frances exclaimed, a small laugh escaping her lips.

"You've put up with me this past year, looked after Charlie when I've been on business. Tomorrow, you will eat at my table". He replied.

Frances gave him a small smile, her head nodding. "Things will get better, I think, next year". She said softly..

Tommy nodded his head. "Uh-huh". He muttered.

Frances turned around walking out, and Florence could see some tears in her eyes as she left. She looked up at Tommy, her eyes soft. Tommy cleared his throat as he grabbed his mail, throwing things down that he didn't care about.

Florence watched as he threw the rest of the letters down, as he found one that took his interest. He tore the letter open, the look on his face made Flo know it was bad. He leaned forwards, his breathing becoming hard. Flo stood up and made her way over to him, her hand grabbing the letter.

"What's with the black hand?" Florence asked.

Tommy didn't answer her as he held onto the desk. "Tommy....is it bad?" She asked. Tommy turned around to look at her, his eyes were hard. He grabbed her face gently, his breathing still hard. "It's bad, it's really bad. I need you to call Finn, get him down here". He said.

Florence nodded as she grabbed the phone, her eyes on Tommy as he stormed out of the room. Florence typed in the Garrisons' number, knowing he was going to be there.

"Hello, Garrison Tavern". Micky answered.

"It's Florence. Do you know if Finn is there?" She asked.

"Oh hello Florence, yeah he is want me to get him?" He responded.

"Yes please". Florence asked. She grabbed the letter on the table, her eyes on the black hand. "Hey Florence, he said that he's a bit busy at the moment". Micky said.

"Can you please tell him it's an emergency"? Florence pleaded.

Micky went quiet, and she knew he went back to Finn. Florence started to bite the dead skin away from her nail, her breathing becoming erratic.

"Hello". Finn's deep voice flooded the phone.

"Finn... Tommy needs you to come to the house. A letter came and he's been acting weird, he said it's bad but I don't know what it means". She said.

Finn was quiet for a moment, and Florence thought for a moment that he had hung up on her. "What letter? Who sent it?" He asked.

"Luca Changretta". Florence answered.

Finn let out a sigh. "I'll be there shortly okay". He muttered, before hanging up. Florence put the phone down, her eyes on the letter again. Tommy opened the door again, storming in. His hands ran through his hair as he took a deep breath.

"What does it mean?" Florence asked.

"It's the mafia....it's their way of a threat". He answered.

Florence frowned, her eyes on Tommy. He was right, it was bad.