(11)

Florence wrapped her arms around her body, a sad look on her face as she walked down the cobbled street. "Earth to Florence". Tillie said, her hand waving in front of her face.

Florence looked at her, a soft hum escaping her lips. Eddie and Tillie both gave each other a worried look. "Are you okay?" Eddie asked.

"I'm fine". She answered, her head turning to look forwards.

Eddie and Tillie both looked at each other, their eyes saying everything. "You want anything from the shop?" Tillie asked.

Florence nodded as she handed her a small sack. "Cigarette's and a pack of matches please". She answered. Florence looked down at her nails, picking gently at the dead skin.

"Hey Gypsy girl". Paul shouted, a wide smile on his face. Florence looked up at him, her eyes drifted to Finn who walked closely behind him.

"Hi". She muttered, her eyes drifting back to Paul. Her eyes found the ground again, her lips slightly pouted.

"You okay?" Paul asked as he walked forwards, his hands grabbing her arms. Florence looked up at him, her eyes full of tears. Her head turned to look at Finn, hate flooding her eyes.

Tillie and Eddie walked out, their eyebrows raised. Florence turned her head and grabbed the cigarettes and matches from Tillie. "I'm fine". She snapped as she stormed away, her hair blowing in the wind.

Tillie and Eddie both sighed as they watched her walk away, their eyes turning to look at the young men.

"What's up with her?" Paul asked, concern spread across his face.

"It's.... it's the anniversary of her mother leaving them". Eddie answered, his eyes following Florence as she stormed down the street.

"Your friend also made her upset but she won't tell us what happened". Tillie said, her eyes of Finn.

Finn's jaw tightened, his head turning to look at Florence as she walked away. He turned to look back at her friends, his face expressionless.

"I told her the truth that's all". He muttered, his hands going into his pockets as he started to walk away, his destination was the Garrison.

"Look after her will you? And tell her if she needs me, I'll be in the pub". Paul said softly as he followed his friend. Isiah nodded at the two of them and left.

They caught up with Florence, to find her sitting in their spot. She was sitting down, her arms wrapped around her legs, her head resting on her knees.

"Hey". Tillie whispered softly as she sat in front of her friend, her eyes soft. Eddie sat beside Florence, his hand resting on her back.

"You okay?" Eddie asked.

"I'm fine". Florence answered as she sat up straight, her tongue running over her bottom lip. Eddie and Tillie looked at each other, their eyes telling them they were thinking the same thing.

They knew Florence wasn't okay, but she wouldn't tell them. If they kept pushing her she would end up breaking down, and they didn't want that.

"Well Paul said if you need him he's at the pub....he seems nice". Tillie said after a while.

Florence nodded her head, her fingers playing with the ripped soles of her shoes. She let out a soft hum, her mind somewhere else.

"How about we go to the pub? We can have a drink and that way....we can talk if you like...I mean when you're ready?" Eddie asked.

Florence shook her head. "I'm okay here. You both go, I'll join you there later". She whispered.

Eddie and Tillie both looked at each other, small frowns on their faces. "Are you sure? We can sit here with you". Tillie offered.

"I....I need to think and be with my own thoughts for a bit. But..thank you". Florence said softly.

Tillie and Eddie both stood up, feeling guilt as they walked away. But they knew Florence needed her own space.

As Florence sat there, her eyes peered out at the water. A small tear slid down her face, her whole body shaking. She soon erupted into a fit of tears.

She didn't know how many hours she was sitting there but by the time she looked up, the sun was already setting. The sound of footsteps made her sit up straight, as she wiped her tears away.

Thinking it was Eddie or Tillie she cleared her throat to stop it from breaking. "I'm sorry I lost track of time". She said.

Florence looked up and a small sigh escaped her lips. She turned her head to look at the water again, her body composure changing completely.

"Your friends were getting worried, but they are in too much of a drunken state to even walk". Finn muttered as he sat beside Florence. He inhaled deeply, before turning his head to look at her.

Florence started to play with the ripped soles of her shoes again, her head nodding.

"You've been crying?" He asked.

Florence scoffed, her head shaking. "I'm not going to sit here listening to you say it's weak". She snapped as she went to stand up.

Finn raised his hand and dragged her back down, his eyes soft. "I'm not here to be mean to you". He whispered.

Florence gripped his hand, her eyes welling up. "Please go". She whispered back.

Finn searched her face, his head shaking. "I'm sorry....about your mother". He muttered.

Florence shut her eyes as she burst into tears, her head shaking. "I.....I don't even know why I'm crying. She's the one who left me". She cried out.

Finn grabbed her in his arms and pulled her into his body. He frowned slightly, not knowing how to comfort her. His hand raised as he held the back of her head, the feeling of her shaking as she cried made him feel....sad almost.

Her small fists clenched his shirt, her tears were non stop.

Florence didn't know how long they sat there for, or how she even got home that night. She was grateful for Finn sitting with her whilst she cried her eyes out to him.

The young man confused her so much. One moment he would be nice then the next he could be nasty.

She knew she needed to keep her distance from him, but she couldn't help but feel a pull towards him too.