(16)

The rain ascended hard in Small Heath, and as Florence ran to the shop her body was already completely soaked. She placed her hand in her pocket, grabbing the set of keys.

"Come on". She whispered to herself as she tried finding the key that would open the shop, and a place for her to get some shelter.

Once the shop was open she stumbled in, the floor already wet from her soaking body.

Florence pulled off her coat, and hung it on the little hook in the back room, hoping it would be dry by the time she finished her shift. As she turned the heating on and all the lights, she got a sudden sense....of foreboding.

The past 72 hours of her life had been hectic. Her father was on edge, and his friends were constantly over all the time. Florence and Daniel were told to stay in their rooms, whilst these meetings were taking place.

All Florence did hear was, "we need to stop them" but she didn't have any idea who he was talking about.

Florence flicked the little button on the radio, as music softly blared out. She set up the display cards and started preparing the flowers in their rightful stands. Once it hit seven am, she flicked the closed sign to open and made her way behind the counter.

She sat down and grabbed her mug, taking a little sip of her coffee as she opened the logbook. With the way the weather was, Florence highly doubted it was going to be busy today. There were two collections to be made, and that was it.

Florence didn't mind the slow, quiet days but sometimes they dragged and she would feel lonely.

By nine am, it was still raining and it didn't look like the weather was going to change. Florence sat back down, a fresh mug of coffee in her hand. She was finally warming up, her dress still damp in parts.

The little bell rang, meaning a customer was here. "What terrible weather we're having". A man muttered as he rushed in.

Florence smiled at him as she stood up. "I know, I'm still a little wet from this morning". She replied. Florence grabbed a box, and walked towards the man.

"Here we go. Hopefully you'll get home in one piece now". Florence said, a little smile on her face.

The man laughed as he grabbed the box from her hands. "Thank you, dear, I thought the graveyard could have...a little colour, especially the graves that no one attends to". He muttered.

Florence smiled sadly, her arms wrapping around her body. "I think that's a lovely idea. I made sure to pick out the freshest ones". She whispered.

After a small talk, the man left, leaving Florence to herself. The second person came shortly after, a woman collecting flowers for her sick mother.

And that was that, Florence sat back down ticking the two people of in the book. It was going to be a long day because it was only half ten, and the rain was getting worse.

Florence rested her head on the countertop, her eyes shutting. The night before was a another night of no sleep. The fifteen had a lot on her mind, and it wasn't helping her at night. That was Florence, she over-thought all the time, something that wasn't always the best.

The phone started to ring, which caused her to sit up straight. Florence grabbed the phone on the third ring. "Good morning...". She was cut off by a loud shouting.

"GOOD MORNING". Tillie shouted down the phone.

Florence signed, her eyes shutting. "Hi, Tillie". She muttered.

"Wanna see a movie with me tonight?" Tillie asked

"I...I don't know. I mean....women don't usually go alone. There are usually whores or lonely women. Is Eddie coming with us?" She asked.