(15)

Florence hardly listened to what Tillie was saying as they walked down the street. Eddie was in between them, their arms hooked through his.

"I really like him. He walked me home and then I tried to kiss him, and he said that he wouldn't take advantage of me like that. Does that mean he would kiss me if I was sober? Or does that mean he doesn't want to kiss me at all?" Tillie asked.

Eddie was the one to answer, but Florence was still not listening. All she could hear was Finn's words in her head. Was she actually scared of him? She didn't think she was. Yes, he infuriated her with his words, and what he had to say about her. But there was something else. It was like she wanted to be around Finn all the time.

"Earth to Florence". Tillie said as her hand waved in front of Florence's face.

"What?" Flo asked, a frown on her face.

Eddie and Tillie looked at each other, their eyes rolling. "We asked are you joining us for a drink?" Eddie asked, his finger pointed to The Garrison.

Florence looked up at the pub, as she bit her bottom lip. "I'm not really feeling it today, but you go". She answered, her eyes on her friends.

"Are you okay?" Tillie asked, a small frown on her face.

"Yeah...I'm just tired from last night and work". She answered. Florence forced a smile as she hugged her two friends, watching as they walked into the pub.

Florence took a deep breath as she continued to walk home, her arms wrapping around her body. Her head shot up as she heard a familiar laugh, her eyes quickly diverting to the ground.

"Oh hello". John said, a wide smile on his face.

Florence looked up at him, as she forced a small smile. "Hello, Mr Shelby". She whispered.

John was accompanied by Arthur, Tommy, Polly, Finn and Michael. Florence had heard about Michael, but never actually met the young man.

"Where are you off to on this fine evening?" Arthur asked, as he threw his arm around John.

"Home, I just finished work". Florence answered.

She frowned when the two brothers looked at each other, their heads turning to look at Tommy. His eyes were on Florence, a cigarette hanging from his mouth.

"Well, you get yourself home safe okay". John muttered as he walked off, Arthur rushing after him.

Florence frowned, her eyes finding the remaining Shelby's. Finn and Florence looked at each other, but they looked away quickly. "Tell your father to call me please?" Tommy asked.

Florence nodded her head, unsure of what to say. They all walked past her, and as they walked people scurried out of their way.

The walk home was full of confusion. From the conversation she heard her father having in the morning, to the encounter with the Shelby's now she didn't know what was happening.

Lee was long gone by the time Florence was home, and that was something she was happy about. A warm smile spread across her face as she saw Daniel.

"Hello". She whispered as she kissed his head. He looked up at her with a wide grin, his head diving back into his book.

"Hello dear". Bartley muttered as he stepped out of the kitchen. Florence smiled up at her dad. "Hi, daddy". She whispered.

"Dinner is nearly ready". He said, his eyes averting to the bottle on the table.

"Father". She said, her eyes soft. He nodded his head, his eyes not leaving the sight of the bottle.

"As I was walking home, the Shelby family stopped me". She said.

Bartley's head snapped to look at Florence, a horrible look was on his face which made Florence step back in fear.

"What did they say to you?" He asked as he stepped forwards.

"They...". Florence stopped talking, the fear taking over. Bartley rushed forwards as he grabbed Florence by the arms, shaking her.

"What did they say to you?" He shouted, causing Florence to cry out. His grip was hurting her arms, and the fact he raised his voice scared her.

"They....they asked you to call them". She cried out.

Florence immediately took a step back as Bartley let go of her. Bartley racked his fingers through his hair, his face scrunching up with anger.

"Look after your brother". He snapped, as he grabbed his coat.

"Daddy what's happening?" Florence cried as she went to follow him. Bartley turned around and grabbed his daughter by the arms again.

"Look after your brother okay? I need to sort something out". He said, his voice a little softer this time. Florence knew he was still angry, but his anger was directed towards her.

Flo watched as her dad stormed away, his hand still running through his hair. Whatever was happening it was bad, and it was really bad.