(19)

TRIGGER WARNING IN THIS CHAPTER
From now on, I will be placing these red X's anytime there is a trigger warning.
This chapter has violence and abuse in it, and I apologise if anyone feels uncomfortable reading. Abuse isn't right, and my heart goes out to those who have and is suffering from it !!

Bartley Boswell had been passed out in his bed the entire day, and the next morning there was still no sign of him for breakfast.

Florence was sitting down at the table, Daniel sitting beside her as he ate his breakfast. Her eyes would waver up towards the stairs every now and then.

It wasn't until mid-day that their father entered. He went straight to the cupboard, pulling out a bottle of white gin. Florence watched as her father sat across from her, unscrewing the lid and taking a large gulp.

Daniel was currently sitting beside Flo, reading out a story to her. Flo's arm was wrapped around him, a small smile on her face.

"Will you shut the fuck up"? Bartley spat, his eyes on his son.

Flo jumped, and held Daniel closer to her. "Dad". She whispered.

"What? WHAT?" Her father screamed, standing up. The chair fell backwards, his eyes wide.

"Get to your room Daniel". He spat, his eyes turning to his son.

Flo sat in her chair, her hands clasped under the table. She felt Daniel's presence go as he ran up the stairs.

"I'm going to ask you to be honest with me Florence. Have you been seeing that Shelby boy?" Bartley asked after a few minutes of silence.

When Flo didn't answer, he pulled her up from her seat. "HAVE YOU BEEN SEEING THAT SHELBY BOY?" He screamed.

Flo shook her head, tears streaming down her face.

"Really? Then why did Henry tell me he saw the two of you a few nights ago at the cinema? He said he also saw you go into the Garrison with the boy?" He asked. He still hasn't let go of her arms, he was now applying pressure.

"Tillie.....she asked me to go". She answered quietly.

"Tillie? Patrick and Clementina Loveridge's child? Why is she hanging around with the likes of them? Actually, I don't want you anywhere near her. Or that Edward". He shouted.

Flo cried, even more, her body shaking.

"The Loveridge's are a vile family. Is she seeing him? Is Tillie seeing the Shelby boy? Wouldn't surprise me. She's a rotten apple that girl, always has been. Will turn out like a whore just like her mother, and your mother". He spat.

"SHUT UP". Flo screamed.

Bartley looked down at his daughter, his eyes wide. "What did you just say to me?" He asked.

"You heard me". She whispered.

Flo let out a scream as Bartley's hand struck across her face, knocking her to the ground.

"You ungrateful little bitch. Get to your room. I don't want to see you. And Florence, if I find out you're still hanging around with Loveridge, Smith or any of the Shelby family, I will kill you". He spat, as he grabbed her by the hair.

"Don't think I won't, because I will. You have no idea what I'm capable off. Not fuck off". He shouted, as he flung her on the stairs.

Flo cried as she ran up the stairs, pulling her bedroom door open. She ran her fingers through her hair as cried. The door opened and she turned around, her eyes going soft.

"I'm scared". Daniel whispered.

Flo held out her arms for her brother to run into. She clung onto him as she gave him small kisses on his head.