Chapter 18 Daughter

Wei Ying stared at Lan Zhan.

"You can't mean...but, if that's true...but Lan Zhan? What if it's true?" Wei Ying was already feeling traumatised, but this was yet another thing to worry about. His mind was tripping over all the possibilities.

"Think about it. Jiang Cheng said Suanni recognised her at the beach, that's why he bowed." Lan Zhan replied. His eyes had calmed after that first initial shock.

"That reminds me, when SiZhui was sea sick, Li XiWang knew what to do. She cured him. I never asked her how she knew that." Wei Ying thought back to their vacation. "And do you know when you got hit by the Jiaoren, Daden Yaonu said only Li XiWang could help to heal you. Do you think she saw something, you know, when she said she tested her to see her abilities?"

"Mn."

"Lan Zhan, do you think anyone would remember what Bai Hua looked like? Because I'm really wondering why Li XiWang's hair and her eyes changed colour. And her voice had changed too." Wei Ying thought back further. "And I remember Li XiWang saying that she really wanted to heal people. So now, the question is, in what capacity does Bai Hua reside within Li XiWang?"

"Mn?"

"What I mean is, is Li XiWang wholly Bai Hua, or is she dormant, just waiting for something to wake her up? And then, what will happen if she wakes accidentally? What if Li XiWang isn't ready for her?"

"Maybe Wei Ying is worrying too much." Lan Zhan told him.

"But they're all valid points, Lan Zhan. Do you think we should try hypnosis? Or maybe if I asked Hui Gai to take a look inside her mind? He's already been inside there once before, quite successfully, too."

Wei Ying sighed and the little puffs of air against his neck, was comforting to Lan Zhan.

"Or we could wait. It may not be a good idea to force something. What if her mind has to catch up to everything, and if we accelerate the process, it ends up harming her instead?"

"You know what? You are absolutely right, Lan Zhan. In all of this, I have forgotten that Li XiWang should be the most important person." Wei Ying settled back, listening to the steady heart beating.

"Thank you for making me feel better, Lan Zhan."

"Wei Ying is so welcome. Now, will you please tell me why you came home covered in blood? I was worried."

Wei Ying reached up and kissed his jaw.

"I'm sorry, my love. Hui Gai got me out of there so fast, I didn't know what was happening."

Lan Zhan made a mental note to thank the demon when he got the chance. He knew the demon was slightly scared of him, but he saw that as a healthy fear.

"We were talking to Shou Xing, the window of the carriage was open, and I really don't know from where it came, but an arrow shot him, right in his heart! I tell you, Lan Zhan, I couldn't believe my eyes!" Wei Ying closed his eyes.

"Perhaps this is why no one talks about the assassins. It is too dangerous. And if they find out, or suspect that Bai Hua has in fact come back, then Uncle is right, our daughter would be in danger."

"Maybe that's why Nie Huaisang warned me not to pursue them."

"Mn."

"But Lan Zhan, why is it that no one knows anything about Li XiWang's mother? Even Daden Yaonu said she was a human, but nothing else. So then more and more, I really think the pouch will hold a clue."

Wei Ying's stomach rumbled loudly. He laughed awkwardly.

"Will Wei Ying be alright? I will get us food?" Lan Zhan asked first.

Wei Ying reluctantly nodded and got off him.

Lan Zhan kissed the top of his head.

"Don't move. Stay here."

"Promise." Wei Ying did his three finger salute.

Lan Zhan smiled at him and left.

Wei Ying was left alone with his thoughts.

Being a parent was difficult...but so enjoyable. He couldn't imagine a life without his children now. There was a joy that painted in the background of the canvas in his heart, ever present. No matter what happened, he was grateful for these precious moments spent with his family.

And he was grateful that Lan Zhan was with him. Their family was an impossible gift, something in existence that was not guaranteed before. He had to die, but it seemed like a small price to pay for his life as it was now.

Lan Zhan returned with trays of food, and Li XiWang was following behind him, also carrying another.

"Brother sent this for you. Jiang Cheng has been cooking again." Lan Zhan opened the pot to reveal that tantalising scent of lotus pork rib soup.

His stomach groaned painfully and Lan Zhan laughed quietly.

"Wei Ying should start."

Lan Zhan handed him a spoon, and then helped Li XiWang get settled with her meal too, before sitting down to eat himself. He took to wiping Wei Ying's mouth every so often, receiving blushes for his endeavours.

When they finished, Lan Zhan had already made his decision.

"Call Hui Gai."

Both his daughter and his husband looked at him, and then looked at each other.

"I wish only to speak with him." Lan Zhan added.

Wei Ying raised a brow at his daughter, who shrugged in answer. They both turned to him.

"Er, what did you want to say...?" Wei Ying asked, rather nervously.

"He's scared of you." Li XiWang was blunt about it.

Lan Zhan thought it was cute that they both wanted to protect the demon.

"Only talk. Promise."

Wei Ying looked relieved, but Li XiWang was still uncertain.  Wei Ying nodded at her, and then she thought of him.

Hui Gai beamed when he saw his friends but the smile vanished upon seeing the man in white. He grabbed his swishing tail nervously. Wei Ying edged closer to his friend.

Lan Zhan had already stood up. To the shock of everyone in the room, Lan Zhan bowed deeply.

To the demon.

Wei Ying squeaked.

Li XiWang gasped.

"Please accept my sincerest gratitude for saving my Wei Ying." Lan Zhan said, in absolute seriousness.

"Uh, um...you're welcome?" Hui Gai hid behind Wei Ying.

Who turned around and hugged him.

"Yes, thank you, my friend. You saved us yet again. I'm sorry I didn't tell you then...I was a bit out of it."

Hui Gai, who normally relaxed into any hug with his friend, awkwardly patted his back, still holding onto his tail.

Wei Ying had noticed that he did that when he was stressed or worried about something, much like toddlers sucking their thumbs.

"He won't hurt you, he's saying thank you." Wei Ying tried to reassure him.

"Can I go now?" Hui Gai really wanted to leave.

"Yes of course."

Wei Ying was left hugging air.

The tension only dissipated when Lan Zhan sat down again.

"Dessert?" He asked them, as if nothing out of the ordinary had happened.