Chapter 103 Return

Li XiWang sat on the floor and called forth both her familiars. DaErduo licked his paws and rubbed them over his big ears, listening intently. Definitely more alert than Xiao Mao, who was pretending to sleep, opening one blue eye now and again, just to check she hadn't missed anything.

Bai Hua shone outwardly, her silver white eyes burning like fire. A spear of light came out of them, one on the right towards Xiao Mao and the left towards the fennec fox, piercing their hearts with an unmatched intensity. That light connected all three beings, drawing out their consciousnesses to merge as one. Bright, blinding light filled the room, reflecting from all the surfaces, and because the room was circular, it increased tenfold.

And just as suddenly as it had started, it imploded, going back inside each body.

When it was safe to open his eyes, Wei Ying did so, only to find all three passed out on the floor.

"It is almost time." Hexie said, coming into the room. "She asked me to prepare this." She handed a bag to Wei Ying.

"What is it?" He asked, putting it away.

"Not allowed to tell, and there's no time now." She tapped her nose, grinning.

"You keep saying that, but we've only been here a day."

She stared at him for a full minute before laughing at him, clutching her sides, only stopping when she saw he was serious.

"I'm sorry, I really thought you were joking." She wiped her eyes. "Time in this place stands still. It is why I will never age, and DaErduo has stayed the same as he was when she first left us."

"Stands still? As in no time passes?" Wei Ying was beyond curious about that.

Lan Zhan smiled at him because of it.

"Exactly. Bai Hua, my Shifu, is an extremely powerful and clever Gifted. Did you not see, that when you entered here, it was nightfall from whence you came? And here, the sun has been shining for so long, didn't you wonder where the night went?"

"I never realised..." Wei Ying replied, thinking hard. "So how many days have passed exactly?"

"Today is the fifth day. You should return, because the-"

"Children of the Tree are about to attack." Wei Ying finished for her.

Lan Zhan picked up Li XiWang while Wei Ying brought both sleeping animals into his arms. Just as they were leaving, he turned back to the round-faced woman.

"Will we ever see you again?"

Hexie looked into the room behind her, her tone soft.

"I don't think I'll be staying here. Perhaps I shall come to visit my Shifu wherever she is. Who knows?"

Wei Ying looked at Li XiWang in Lan Zhan's arms.

"I bet she does."

"I hope so." Hexie waved at them one last time before closing the door behind them.

They walked to where they had sat before Li XiWang had taken them into the compound.

Their bodies remained just as they were on that day.

"So....any idea on how to get back in?" Wei Ying grinned at Lan Zhan.

Just then, Li XiWang woke up, a little dazed. Her familiars also woke, yawning and clicking their teeth. Both jumped down from Wei Ying and ran towards their bodies, DaErduo barking in short yips, while Xiao  Mao mewled, clearly wanting them to do something.

Wei Ying looked to his daughter, relieved to see the return of her burgandy eyes. She also looked a little lost. But he was so glad to see her as she was normally.

He took her from Lan Zhan and hugged her.

"How are you feeling, little rabbit?"

"Really tired," she said, yawning.

"But this is important. Can you tell what they want us to do?"

Li XiWang closed her eyes for a few seconds, and at the same time, the familiars copied her movements. Her eyes opened, the silver white returning.

"Come." She led both of them to sit in front of their bodies. "Close your eyes."

Wei Ying felt a warm hand on his head, and when he opened his eyes, the three of them had returned.

He stood up on shaky legs, feeling the return of the blood flow. It was the same for all three, while the animals ran around yapping at each other.

When they were ready, they walked towards the shimmering barrier. Wei Ying stopped just before they reached it.

"We don't know what's happening on the other side of this. We should be prepared." He said.

Lan Zhan looked at him proudly. "Mn."

"Hui Gai."

The demon appeared, beaming. He opened his arms and held Wei Ying tightly.

"I missed you, Pengyou."

Lan Zhan cleared his throat, rather noisily.

"I missed you too." Wei Ying told him happily.

They both looked at the little girl.

"How is she doing?" Hui Gai asked.

"I'm not sure, but I know I really want to go home now." Wei Ying confessed.

"I can take you there now, if you want." Red eyes gleamed in anticipation.

"But we can't just leave, my friend. What about the Fliwers of Venus? And Zhitiao? Yezi? We can't just abandon them because I'm feeling homesick." He sighed.

Lan Zhan stepped up to him, wrapping an arm around his waist. Wei Ying smiled gratefully up at him, before continuing.

"I need to ask you for another favour."

"Anything." Hui Gai promised.

"If the fighting has already started, I need you to keep her safe. That's all."

Hui Gai grinned.

"That's nothing. And I was going to do that anyway. This time, my payment has changed," he added.

"What do you want?" Wei Ying asked, slightly warily.

Hui Gai was a demon after all.

"Don't yell at me. I might do things...and you probably won't like it." Hui Gai looked uncertain.

"As long as you don't kill anyone unnecessarily. And if the Children of the Tree are here, we need one of them alive. She has sharp features, and may possibly be their leader."

"I know who she is!" Hui Gai exclaimed, happily. "She's the one who hurt Zhitiao." He grinned evilly.

"Alive!" Wei Ying emphasised.

******