Chapter 92 Flight

Hongse and her sisters were ready. Only last minute checks remained.

Wei Ying stood behind them in the corner, preparing to take his upper robes off.

Lan Zhan watched his fingers grasp the ties and pull.

"Remember to stay close." He told him.

"I will."

"No unnecessary risks."

"I won't."

"If you feel tired-"

"I am to tell you immediately." Wei Ying finished off his sentence.

"Mn." But it was not a happy sound.

Wei Ying handed him his robes, which Lan Zhan carefully folded and put away in his pouch. He unfurled his wings gently, marvelling in the quiet strength. And then, because his husband looked so worried, Wei Ying decided upon a novel way to reassure him.

They both watched the tips of his wings come forward and gather Lan Zhan, prompting him to move slowly but surely into Wei Ying's arms. The beautiful iridescent wings hid them from view, while Wei Ying captured his soft pink lips in a promise of faithful hope. Lan Zhan kissed him back with a passion that he held in reserve for just such occasions, worshipping his husband's mouth like a pilgrim to prayer.

"Promise me." Lan Zhan cupped his face, looking deeply into sparkling silver eyes.

"I promise. We will be safe, don't worry, my love."

Both reluctantly let go of each other, just as Li XiWang came to stand next to him.

"Ready, little rabbit?" Wei Ying asked her, smiling fondly.

"Ready. What about you, father?"

"Mn." Lan Zhan bent down and hugged her too. "I will be right next to you both." He promised.

Close to them, Hongse performed the rituals to gather the energies in the sky. She had closed her eyes, choosing to focus on manipulation of the clouds that had been high up in the sky, and trying to bring them down so low, that no one would be able to see them leave.

"Shall we?" She asked, just as loud thunder crashed below them.

Wei Ying could have sworn he saw flashes of lightening.

He grinned, quirking an eyebrow, looking down below.

Hongse cleared her throat, slightly embarrassed. "I may have over done it. Anyway, let's go." She recreated the mandala they had used to reach this temple on that first day.

"Follow us." Wei Ying told her.

He lifted up Li XiWang in his arms.

"Excited?"

"Most definitely." She giggled.

Lan Zhan watched them take off, his heart thundering in his chest, wondering if this incessant worrying would ever fade. As Wei Ying circled back to hover outside, just waiting for him to mount Bichen, Lan Zhan hoped with a grateful heart that it never would.

Flying freed them. Lan Zhan had always enjoyed it, from his very first clumsy attempt with XiChen looking out for him. Of course, that first time was the only clumsy time; after that, he had taken to it like a fish to water.

And if he was true to his inner turmoil, he was extremely glad Wei Ying did not ride Suibian any more. Not only did it bring back traumatic memories of being thrown into Burial Mounds, but Lan Zhan worried about him suffering panic attacks too. At least with his wings guiding him, he couldn't 'fall off'. Plus in his honest opinion, Wei Ying didn't fly enough. Not only was it a skill that should require practice, but Lan Zhan wouldn't have minded looking at his husband whenever he did that, either.

It made his heart happy when he could see Wei Ying smiling, laughing, and generally having fun. He now had a partner in that department too, with their daughter and her uncanny similarities.

Below them, grey clouds gathered like a soft blanket, shielding their safe getaway. Even when they veered off and began flying in the right direction, the clouds followed them.

Wei Ying couldn't stop the elation from bubbling up through his veins, like fire. Sparks of electrifying joy lit up his insides, and he felt exalted, soaring up way above the clouds like this. He felt born to fly.

And having his daughter in his arms was just the icing on the cake. Li XiWang was enjoying every second of their flight, her cheeks rosier than ever, burgandy eyes sparkling with anticipation. He wished she could look like that all the time.

All the stars came out one by one, painting a sparkling canvas of pretty lights. For a moment, Wei Ying wished he was flying alongside Lan Zhan, who could show him what each constellation was, could explain who they were. He'd have bet Lan Zhan knew the stories behind the stars too, perfectionist fuddy duddy that he was. Even now, he was comforted by his presence, a constant shadow next to them.

"Wei Ying!" He called out to them.

Wei Ying turned to see what he wanted, but he pointed into the distance. Wei Ying followed his gaze towards the mountains far away.

At first, he wasn't sure what he was sure what he was supposed to be seeing, but then a strange green glow shone in between the two peaks.

As they neared, the lights grew longer and wider, changing their colours to vivid purple and cerise streaks. The colours were reflected on their faces, turquoise and jade green, a veritable rainbow in the night sky.

Silent, the onlookers watched the magical display in awe. Vibrant shades of indigo and violet shimmered in front of them, the silver stars glittering like shiny dust.

Wei Ying flew straight for them, his heart glad that they had found the Northern Lights at last.