Chapter 114 Freedom

Wei Ying looked around at the women still trapped behind his golden silk string. The frogs had stopped appearing, and that was certainly something to be grateful for, and he smiled at his daughter's creativity.

"What are you thinking about?" Lan Zhan asked him.

"I was wondering what they're going to do about a leader...now that..." his gaze drifted to the huddled Jian Ci, "that one's rendered ineffective."

"Maybe they will help." Lan Zhan nodded towards the twins making their way towards them, with a third woman.

The three of them bowed first.

"Shidi, we would like you to meet someone. Her name is Fenzhi, and she is the new leader of the Children of the Tree." Zhitiao said, smiling.

Fenzhi bowed again, awkwardly.

"What are you going to do now?" Wei Ying asked the twins.

"We were thinking...would you allow us to come and live with you? Perhaps only a short while, only until we become used to living independently?" Yezi asked, blushing.

"Um..." Wei Ying looked at a surprised Lan Zhan. "Is it allowed, Lan Zhan?"

"We can ask the Elders and Uncle." He replied.

"So you really don't want to go back to them?" Wei Ying asked, even more surprised.

"No. We have been talking to our sisters, and we have all agreed that it's better if we don't." Zhitiao was firm.

"Not only that," Fenzhi spoke up, her voice gentle. "We all think that for a long time, we were led astray and...perhaps the time has come to address that."

They all looked towards Jian Ci now. Her eyes still held that haunted look, fear marring her features.

"This is the time for change." She added.

"Care to explain?" Wei Ying asked.

"When you first detained us, we all thought for sure, that you would set us upon our journey to the other side, but my sisters told us otherwise. I was listening, well, we all were, when you were speaking about our Mother. You asked some important questions, and I was surprised at how my sisters answered you. They showed wisdom and open-mindedness, a trait that has been missing for a long time with our kind."

Yezi put an arm around the trembling woman.

"You have given us the gift of mercy, and I for one, will not allow it to go unanswered. Your discussion led us to remember what it was like before, when we were first born ready to serve our Mother. Our sisterhood was based on love, love for our Mother and love for our natural world." She sighed, her lips quivering. She looked at Zhitiao, who also stepped forward, putting another arm around her waist.

"What she wants to say is, she's going home to talk to the Elders. They are going to take Jian Ci with them. There are going to be some massive changes, and she wants to make sure everyone is on the same page." She spoke up for Fenzhi who was too emotional to speak.

"I'm proud of you. All of you." Wei Ying looked at Yezi and Zhitiao too. "Don't think of your mother dying as a tragedy, because it's not just that. It is an opportunity to do better. All of us have to learn from the past and not make the same mistakes again."

Fenzhi bowed again.

"My sisters call you Shidi...May we also?"

"What about your Elders? Won't they object?" Wei Ying asked, taken aback.

"As I said, it's time for change." Fenzhi smiled with determination. "A lot can be learned from the outside world, and I believe that rather than shutting it out, it would be better to let in the inevitable."

"Besides, our Mother, and our reason for existence has gone from those lands. We are free." Yezi said, her voice full of relief. "We can do other things now, what we've always dreamed about."

"So that's why we have come to say goodbye." Fenzhi said. "Please can you let my sisters go?"

"Of course." Wei Ying immediately removed his golden string. "And I have something for you."

"What?" She asked, curiously.

"This is a seed for a Moon tree. We were told to plant them wherever we like, but I would like to give you this too. And the dust with it will allow your seed to grow." He blushed then. "It is not to replace your Mother, and I don't wish to mean any disrespect by giving you this. But I sincerely believe good things can happen if we believe."

Yezi and Zhitiao hugged their sisters, watching them leave.

One of them happened to glare at Li XiWang just as they were going, and Hui Gai, who was holding her hand at the time, said, "ribbit." Meaningfully glaring back.

She turned green and hurried away.

"We can go too." Wei Ying said to nobody in particular.

"May we join you?" Hongse asked, a twinkle in her eyes.

"What? You want to come with us too?" Wei Ying was mystified at that.

"I believe our goals are still the same. We both wish to find Zai Shu Xia, and we want to help you. Plus I think along the way, we might find Tiaopi De Long, and possibly my Master as well. If we can aid you in any way, it would be our honour...and I too, do not believe in coincidence."

Wei Ying shrugged.

"It is acceptable." Lan Zhan answered for them.

Wei Ying looked up at him, still surprised.

"She is right. Same goals." He explained.

But Wei Ying thought there was something definitely more, and Lan Zhan was hiding something.

They set off a few hours after the Children of the Tree had left. Wei Ying was already feeling much happier, optimistic about reaching home and seeing all those he had missed, talking animatedly about everything.

"Are you excited, Lan Zhan? I am." He bounced along next to him, practically vibrating with extra energy.

"Hm. Brother said there is a surprise waiting for us."

"A surprise?" His silver eyes glimmered in anticipation. "I wonder what it is?"

"We will find out soon." Lan Zhan replied, watching him with humour dancing in the depths of golden eyes.

"Lan Zhaaan! That's no fun at all! You must guess! That's the whole point!" Wei Ying held onto his arm, pouting.

Lan Zhan could feel his heart stuttering at the sight, and swallowed thickly.

Wei Ying, sensing some kind of victory, batted his eyelashes.

Lan Zhan stumbled.

Wei Ying sniggered.

He leaned up to kiss his cheek.

"You're so cute."

"Wei Ying is cuter." His ears gave him away.

Wei Ying beamed at him, realising that the way home was going to be very entertaining...

******

A/N

Happy Friendship day friends!

Actually it's more like my new family on Wattpad.

Real people care and I'm immensely grateful for everyone who has entered my life.

They have banned me from saying thank you, but it is ever present in my reflective good wishes for all.