Chapter 77 Connections

Hongse was staring at him.

Wei Ying found it unnerving. He shifted closer to Lan Zhan, whose arm wrapped around his waist and stayed there.

"Tha-I love you." He quickly amended.

"Mn."

But they were both guarded, watching the crimson robed beauty in front of them.

The silence became heavier. Wei Ying shifted, nervously.

"Err...is there...can I help you in something?" He finished, wondering why she hadn't looked away once.

His question seemed to break her trance, and she shook herself.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable. But I was thinking, and now I have a request."

"What?" This was Lan Zhan.

His deep voice never failed to run a shiver down his back, especially when he was being protective like this. Right now, all Wei Ying wanted to do was kiss the life out of him...but he sighed instead.

The arm around his waist tightened fractionally.

"I would like to see the claw. I've been waiting for you to bring it up, but you haven't...and I thought you might have forgotten." Hongse asked, uncertainly.

"We didn't forget." Wei Ying replied, looking at both Li XiWang's face and Lan Zhan. "There's a reason why we don't want to bring it out. It's because while I can touch it, Li XiWang has had problems. I'm not at all certain it's necessary, at least not yet."

"What if I promise that nothing will happen to her?"

"You can't guarantee that!" Wei Ying fired back.

"This is not for me, I'm thinking about her familiar. I once saw my Master perform a strange spell, and as you know, our main concerns are to do with healing. I just want to see if we can help this poor kitty."

Wei Ying looked at the hopeful light in Li XiWang's eyes, her fingers still buried in white fur, and then the occasional mewl from Xiao Mao. She blinked open a blue eye and stared at him.

Was that a sign?

"Father, please can we?" Li XiWang whispered. "I don't want anything to happen to her."

"Alright. But don't touch the claw, for now?" Wei Ying told her.

Hongse produced her own one, and already it was glowing with a blue light. When Wei Ying pulled out Li XiWang's claw, both lit up with a white flame. Wei Ying was powerless to stop the one in his hand from pulling him towards the one in Hongse's hand. He let go just as she did, and they all watched.

One tendril from each stem separated and joined, wrapping around each other so that the pearls were on the outer side and the tails were joined. The white fire became stronger, hotter, fiercer, forcing them to shield their eyes.

The pearls began to send out pulse waves of light and Hongse began chanting. The two wands made into a singular started to spin, slowly at first and then faster and faster, hovering over Xiao Mao.

Wei Ying quickly grabbed the kitten and placed her on the ground so Li XiWang would not get hurt by the spinning wands, which hovered dangerously above the tiny kitten. A single flame burst forth and pierced the kitty, straight into her tiny heart.

They gasped and Li XiWang screamed. She scrambled up and tried to stop whatever was happening but Lan Zhan held her back.

The kitten's body started to rise, floating off the ground, the spear of light still penetrating through to the ground. And then, one final burst of light, and the body lay on the ground, unmoving. The claws separated and returned back to their owners.