Chapter 87 Petroglyphs

After three more bouts of energy transfer, Wei Ying felt strong enough to sit up, albeit leaning against the wall.

Hui Gai was his first thought.

The demon appeared, somewhat subdued.

"Come here." Wei Ying held his arms open but was surprised when Hui Gai remained hesitant. "I'd get up but Lan Zhan's has practically banned me for now. So get over here."

Hui Gai smiled shyly and hugged him carefully. Wei Ying held on, needing his friend.

"I know you'll say it's not necessary, but thank you, my friend. I don't think I can pay you back in this lifetime, for all the things you've done for me, for my family. You are my family too." Wei Ying couldn't swallow past the heavy lump in his throat.

"No need." Hui Gai whispered, but he sounded pleased anyway.

"It means a lot to me, to both of us, that we can count on you to protect our daughter. I don't want to think of what could have happened."

"Then don't." Hui Gai grinned at him, with all his teeth. "How are you feeling now?"

"Much better." Wei Ying answered truthfully, just as the door opened.

Hui Gai winked at him and disappeared.

Hongse arrived with a sullen looking Yezi. Lan Zhan followed behind them, an irritated look on his face. Wei Ying beamed at him and was rewarded with a soft smile.

"She wants to go back." Hongse announced, planting herself far to close to Wei Ying for Lan Zhan's liking.

He none too subtly put Bichen down hard in front of him. Wei Ying took his hand and intertwined their fingers in his lap.

"What's it like down there?" He asked.

"They're waiting for us. It's not like we can stay here forever, is it?"

"How is everyone? Casualties?"

"A few. We have cremated and rested their souls. The others? Maybe one more day, and they'll be able to walk at least." She was still staring at him.

"What?" Wei Ying asked her, becoming increasingly uncomfortable.

"Well, I just want to bring something to your attention."

"While we were all fighting, I couldn't help noticing that their attacks were concentrating on two groups, Yezi and her sister, and the both of you. They," she stared at the woman sitting next to her, "are an obvious target, but you two?"

"We've met them before, a few times." Wei Ying closed his eyes, suddenly exhausted.

"I don't think that's all. Even when they fought you both, they were after you in particular." She added.

Wei Ying felt his hand being squeezed.

"We need to get her back." He whispered. "How long has it been?"

"Third night tonight." Lan Zhan told him.

"Third?" Wei Ying opened his eyes.

He couldn't help thinking about Zhitiao. What was happening to her now? There was no way she could claim innocence now - her sisters knew too well that she was against them.

I could go, Hui Gai said softly in his mind. In and out.

I couldn't ask you to, Wei Ying told him.

That's ridiculous. Why not?

Because...because...Wei Ying floundered.

See? And honestly, it's no trouble. My skin is blade proof.

How do you know? Wei Ying asked, suspiciously, now sitting up.