Chapter 38 Forgiveness

I know you hate notes and I'm really sorry, but I need to think, so I'm visiting the bunnies. I'm not leaving Cloud Recesses so please don't worry, my love.

Wei Ying wrote as neatly as he could, hoping he would make it back before he was missed. He meant every word, so hopefully Lan Zhan wouldn't be too upset.

Then he set off, twirling Chenqing between his fingers. Summer was settling in nicely in Gusu, flowers bloomed and their soft scents mingled with the warm breeze, too early to be hot.

Wei Ying missed the cold and was pleasantly surprised by this. An outdoor lad from youth, winters were always the most difficult to endure here, but he missed snuggling up to his husband and enjoying his warmth.

There was an unsettling feeling in the pit of his stomach that had grown since the incident in Caiyi. His gut was telling him that once again, they were being tested on how much they could take.

The attacks were random; there was no telling how and when the next one would happen, but he was certain beyond a doubt that it would.

Their only preparation was in being ready, and as the chief defender in this particular fight, Wei Ying had to come up with a way to make himself stronger and not worry anybody else, especially Lan Zhan.

He let a small giggle escape on the thought of what Lan Zhan would actually do to keep him safe as a punishment. The possibilities were...endless.

Just a small push was necessary in order for a breakthrough to occur, but Wei Ying was experiencing a blockage for the first time in his life.

There was a knot of tension in his chest, and he had to work through that with diligence if any progress was to be made. He knew he still felt angry.

Anger was present because of the fact that XiChen had taken away his choice. Fear had made the Sect leader hide the truth from him, and Wei Ying did not like being kept in the dark. Right alongside that was the sadness. The feelings of betrayal had not gone away entirely and if not dealt with, they would grow into resentment which would be detrimental to them, both in their defences and his personal path.

He found himself picking up random flowers just because he liked their colours; bluebells and cornflowers, wild hyacinths and gentians. And these pretty flowers would make a lovely bouquet for his husband, he thought, smiling as he approached the rabbits. He put the flowers away in pouch that he'd designed just to keep them fresh, after he realised that he loved to give flowers to Lan Zhan. His first ever gift to his husband had been a drawn flower, an unexpected addition to his portrait of the most beautiful man to walk this earth.

White fluff balls of joy bounced towards him, attacking him with their poofiness, little pink noses twitching in delight. He should have remembered to bring them some sweetcorn, he remembered too late.

He sat down in their midst, admiring the contrast of their white fur against his black robes. They pushed into his hands, demanding attention, and for a few minutes, Wei Ying happily petted them. He lay down in the grasses, and let them snuggle up to him. He yawned, feeling the most relaxed he had felt in days, and soon combined with the live blanket of white fur, he closed his eyes.

SiZhui found him like that, almost completely covered in the animals. He laughed first, because it truly was a sight to see. But then, as he pondered why Wei Ying was here, a frown replaced his smile as he began to understand. So he did not wake the tired man, but sat next to him and fed the rabbits with delicious carrots and lettuces, saving the treat for his father to give out later.

Wei Ying woke up a while after, to the sound of a soothing voice talking gently to the bunnies, calling each one by name.

SiZhui was such a happy child, a gentle soul. Wei Ying had always loved him fiercely, naturally. The child A-Yuan had been attracted to him like a moth to a flame, their childish mindset and affinity for fun creating a bond that had lasted, even through his own death. That was probably the hardest thing he had ever had to do.