Chapter 49 Schemes

JingYi was worried.

Both of his friends were acting weird and he didn't know quite what to make of it.

He thought they were over the awkward silences, the looking, but not looking glances, the looking away, when they really just wanted to look at each other.

JingYi missed them being normal.

He missed his babies too, and since that time on the beach, he had found a way to call them whenever it got too much. So it was in the middle of the night, past curfew and the worry about his friends making him dodge the people on night duty, as he made his way up the mountainside.

Summer in Gusu was a precious time, just as beautiful as the first snow in Winter.

Warm, scented air caressed his face as he walked, revelling in the quiet solitude of the night, like a comforting blanket. Once the canopy of over hanging trees were left behind, the night sky opened up in all its splendour, bright twinkling stars lighting his way. He climbed to the very top, and sat upon the ledge, his feet dangling off the stone shelf. And he whistled, low and long.

Soon, the familiar flapping of elegant wings, three sets in all, came close until his babies arrived. Little hoots and squeals greeted him as he rushed to hug and kiss each one, their beautiful red faces licking him eagerly. He didn't realise he was crying until the youngest of the three licked his eyes again and again, making him laugh instead.

The three babies curled around him, cocooning him from the rest of the world, instinctively knowing he needed their comfort like his next breath. Another nuzzled into his neck, whining.

"Why am I sad?" He asked her.

She nodded, pushing her snout into his palm.

"I miss my friends."

Another whine. The other baby breathed hot air onto his neck, and he relaxed, body warm and comfortable.

"There's nothing really wrong with them, exactly. It's just that they're both being really weird. Like they want to say something, but they won't. It's frustrating, that's what it is." He sighed. "I thought we were over whatever they were going through...but...I don't know now. Do you think they want to break up with each other? After everything they went through...it's just sad, is all." His eyes were getting heavier.

One of the babies started crooning, a lulling rumble in his chest, making JingYi yawn. He stopped talking, unable to keep his eyes open now...

*****

SiZhui couldn't sleep either. He tossed and turned, tears dried before he had slept, even now, it had only been an hour or so since he put himself to bed.

The last few nights he had suffered the same, wishing to give into the sweet oblivion of sleep, but failing spectacularly instead, thinking of why Jin Ling had changed.

No longer were there sweet kisses, or stolen touches, or hot gazes designed to make his heart gallop out of his chest...no.  Those were but sweet memories now. Jin Ling could not stand to touch him any more, and it broke SiZhui's heart with every second of rejection.

He tried to figure it out by himself, as to why or how this drastic change had happened, but he was at a loss to explain it, even to himself.

The changes had been gradual, slow, and at first, not at all noticeable. The awkward smiles of Jin Ling trying to take his hand back, especially when they were in public, hurt him more than he liked to admit. Jin Ling avoided being alone with him too, and that hurt the most. They both were using JingYi as a buffer, and he didn't know why.