Bonus 2

The moon tree seemed to speak to him. The gentle breezes fluttered the heart-shaped leaves in a language of love for all things, and it felt soothing, especially at night when the stars began their serenade of the tree's namesake. Chang'e shone down, her rays made up of forgiveness and blessings, and just for this little while, Uncle Qiren could pretend that everything was okay.

The world could wait, full of troubles and hardship, destined to cause unimaginable pain, and yet there were moments like this full of peace.

He supposed that out of everyone ever born to the Lan clan of Gusu, he was perhaps the most at fault. Life had thrown him the strangest of challenges and he knew that, while he might not have dealt with them well, they had been dealt with...and that was no small feat.

In his lifetime, the Yin Iron existed, the Stygian Tiger Amulet had existed, different forms of cultivation were explored, and men's foibles revealed.

But he could sit here and enjoy the calm, before the shock waves of what he knew came to light, and the disappointment of those around him would bring about his shame.

Until then, he had this night and all of its gifts to enjoy. There was no guilt, because what was done was out of a desire to protect rather than anything nefarious...and yet a small part of him doubted that single choice he made, which led him to this exact moment.

Truth was overrated.

All these years spent in peace and relative tranquility, this was the currency he had to deal with.

It was time.

Light gathered in tiny sparkles at first, gathering together to create the shape of a beautiful woman. She sat next to him, her form more of an idea than something solid, but she was here, and that was all that mattered.

"What is troubling you, my friend?" She asked, the whispers of her voice fading away like the fragrance of a flower.

Uncle Qiren laughed.

It was a bitter sound.

"You know...better than anyone." He said, at last.

"Ah."

"Is that all you're going to say?" He held his hand out, and bits of her light came towards him.

"Will anything change because of my words?" She sounded sad.

"Probably not." He admitted. "But if it did, I would appreciate the lie."

"I respect you more than that, my dear friend. You must know, you must, that your choices were difficult. A lesser man would have given up, and the fact that you're here, ready to face them...that says more than I ever could." She sighed, and the sound drifted away with the soft breeze.

"Have you ever regretted anything?" His quiet voice washed over her and she shivered.

"What is the use of that? The choices we made...they were right...for that time. Now the time has changed, and who are we to question? It is easy for anyone else to turn around and point fingers, but where were they, when tough choices had to be made? I dare anybody not ready to stand in your shoes and say that you were wrong!" Her voice became stronger with her passion to defend him.

"I want to thank you."

Now it was her turn to laugh.

"No need."

"Blessings and curses, they are the two sides of a single coin. Both happen automatically." He said, enigmatically.

"May I ask for a further explanation?"

"You know what I mean, but if you wish so..."

She nodded, and it felt to him as if she were smiling.

"When someone pleases you unexpectedly, something floods out of you to benefit them, and it is the culmination of all your good wishes for that person. It comes from the depths of your being, uncalled for and spontaneous, and what else is that, if not a blessing?"

"Agreed. But a curse?"

"Same thing, with the opposite emotions. When a person is wounded beyond measure, a pain that shatters their hearts, there is a cry for retribution, for balance to be restored. That is the universal struggle."

"I cannot argue with that."

"This old body has learned a few things."

"I do not doubt that. But my good friend, I believe there is still one more lesson for you to learn."

Uncle Qiren sat up straighter.

"Please, enlighten me."

Her form made of sparkling light began to separate, little globules floating away. He watched her slowly disappear, wondering if she would answer him.

Forgive yourself....

The words pierced his consciousness, settling somewhere inside of him.

Was that even possible?

He could look inside himself and determine his intentions, knew the reasons why he did what he did...but would anyone else bother to look?

Whether they did or not, it was time for him to stand up to the truth, and the scrutiny it would throw his way.

He was tired now.

And it was time to rest.