Chapter 64 Red

It was worrying that Zhitiao had disappeared. Had the Children of the Tree taken her? Or had she left of her own accord?

All the while she had stayed with them, Wei Ying felt as if she wanted to tell them other things, but could not bring herself to. He hoped she had run away, away from the people making her do things she didn't want to. Although, he would say they themselves were guilty of the same thing.

"Will you call your daughter? I would very much like to meet her." Hongse said to them.

"One moment." Wei Ying promised, before dragging Lan Zhan a bit further away from them. "What do you think? Why does she know so much about Li XiWang's situation?"

"Mn. We should ask more questions."

"Agreed." Wei Ying led him back to their midst. "So..."

"You want to know more about us. Right?" Hongse asked him. She was still smiling, and that could mean she wasn't offended, right?

So Wei Ying decided to be upfront with her.

"Yes, actually. Who are you people? How do you know so much about Li XiWang?"

She pulled out her dagger, preparing to slash her own palm. "I will enter a blood oath for you."

"Wait!" Wei Ying cried out, covering her hand with his, just before he was pulled back again. "Lan Zhaaan! You wait, too!"

He turned to look at Hongse.

"You don't need to do that. Just talk to us. Okay?" He told her adamantly. Then he turned to Lan Zhan.

"And you! Stop manhandling me!"

Lan Zhan looked down, a small pout on his lips.

Wei Ying took hold of his hand, but didn't look at him.

"How do you know about our daughter?"

"We knew her mother, Zai Shu Xia."

Wei Ying stared at her. Of all the possible answers she could have given, that one didn't even make the list.

"How?"

"We used to play together. She kind of grew up with us."

Wei Ying was watching Hongse as she answered, checking for any telltale sign that she was lying, like if she blinked a lot, or would not make eye contact, but her face was open and honest, her gaze direct and confident.

"Then, do you know where she is? Right now?" Even as the thought occurred to him, Wei Ying became excited.

If these Flowers of Venus knew where Zai Shu Xia was, their job would be so much easier!

"No. We were hoping you knew."

And just like that, he was disappointed with her answer. He slumped back into Lan Zhan.

"Do you have any leads? Any idea where she could be?" He asked.

"When we last met, she had just escaped from her so-called sisters. Vicious bunch of zealots, if you ask me. She told me that they were going into hiding. And that was it." She tried not to sigh. "Now you know as much as us."

"And, I do not mean any offence by my question, but what is all this?" He gestured up and down her body. "What do you guys do?"

"That, my friend, is a long story. And I believe you are travelling? I propose we walk and talk. My sisters and I have already decided to accompany you and your family to your destination."

"No need." Lan Zhan answered for them both, his stance stiff, words colder.

Wei Ying grinned. "You know we don't need your protection, right? We have him!" He looked proudly at Lan Zhan, who's only indication of embarrassment was his pink ears.