Chapter 83 Stress

The wind rustled through the long grasses, hushed warnings, telling them to proceed with caution. All around them, the air...waited, hesitant and filled with foreboding.

Li XiWang was wide awake now, holding the hand of Hui Gai while her kitten perched on her shoulder, wrapping her fluffy tail around her neck.

Li XiWang knew that something was wrong, and that something dangerous was going to happen, probably quite soon, too.

She felt it in her bones, and the whispering winds on her skin, through the tense, brittle smiles everyone aimed in her direction.

They weren't exactly fake...but then they weren't exactly sincere, either.

She knew everyone was tired. They had been travelling almost constantly, with the promise of a full rest when they reached the temple, but now that looked increasingly unlikely. Li XiWang had been through her fair share of conflict and fights, and she tried not to be scared, but she was only ten years old.

And her fear was not for herself, but for her loved ones. Both her fathers were strong and capable, but worry curled like a dormant snake in the pits of her belly, hissing and writhing.

"Are you alright, little girl?" Hui Gai asked her.

He could feel her stress in the tightness of her hold on his hand, in the way she looked around them, waiting to spot an attacker, see the threat before it was upon them.

"No." She answered honestly. "I don't want anything to happen to my family."

"They've been in situations like this before." He told her, kindly. "In fact, I would say no one can beat them, individually. When they're together, they can make their enemies cry."

She nodded, but it was half heartedly.

"And do you think they would let themselves be in any danger? Why don't you think about that?"

"Huh?"

Hui Gai swung her up into his arms, carefully making sure Xiao Mao was fine.

"I mean, they have to worry about you, and your brother. If they went into dangerous situations recklessly, that would make them bad parents, right?" Hui Gai grinned at her, his white teeth brighter in the darkening sky.

"Right. And they're not bad parents at all." She defended them.

"Exactly. So they're going to make sure that they're going to be safe, and we're all going to be safe. Please trust me?"

"I do!" She threw her arms around his neck.

"So if we have to spend a lot time together, why does it have to be with a sour puss?"

"I am so not a sour puss! Take that back!" She whacked his arm, her expression a mix of outrage and humour.

"Okay, okay, I'll take that back, if you promise not to worry."

"Mn. I promise. I'm glad you're my friend, Hui Gai. I love you very much." She kissed his cheek, and he nearly dropped her, he was so surprised.

Wei Ying had been watching them, his superior sense of hearing letting him know exactly what they were saying. He saw Hui Gai's face and bit back a giggle.

Lan Zhan stared at him, an eyebrow raised.

Wei Ying grabbed his arm, beaming up at him. "Our daughter is bonding with Hui Gai. It's sweet, is all."

"Mn."

"I'm just glad she has more than us, you know?"

"Mn?"

"Well, just in case anything happened to-"

Lan Zhan put his hand over his mouth and led him out of their spot so the marching sisters wouldn't have to stop for them.

Wei Ying was so shocked, he'd stopped speaking, eyes wide looking into golden ones filled with pain. Lan Zhan waited for a few minutes until the red clad women had passed them by, and the noise of hundreds of feet rustling the undergrowth had faded.

All throughout, he did not look away, his eyes scorching every single emotion he felt into Wei Ying.

"Nothing will happen to us." He insisted. "Promise!"

"Promise." Wei Ying solemnly replied.

Lan Zhan kissed him hard, biting his sore lips afterwards, softening only when Wei Ying molded himself to his chest, wrapping his arms around his neck.

Even when they stopped kissing, Lan Zhan didn't let him go.

"My love." Wei Ying tugged on his hair. "We have to catch up."

"Mn." Still he did not let go.

Wei Ying kissed his neck softly.

"I shouldn't have said that, I'm sorry."

Lan Zhan leaned back to glare at him, his own eyes red and puffy.

"Wei Ying will be careful."

"I will."

"Wei Ying will stay safe."

"I will."

Lan Zhan stared, doubtful.

"I promised!" Wei Ying reached up and kissed his nose. "But you have to promise me the same thing."

"Mn. I promise." His voice sounded happier at least.

Wei Ying looked around then.

Night had spread her fingers to colour the landscape, washing everything out to shadowy colours. Murky grasses rustled with the wind, in this valley where they would be vulnerable to attack.

He looked up to see the stars and Chang'e, smiling down upon them.

"Dear Goddess Chang'e, please listen. We want to visit your temple, but danger lies ahead. Please help us to reach you." Wei Ying closed his eyes, willing his prayer to reach her.

"She will listen, won't she, Lan Zhan?" Wei Ying asked, his voice full of innocence.

"Mn." Lan Zhan kissed his forehead and held his hand, leading them back towards their party.

"The Goddess is kind. The Goddess is merciful. She will look after us."

Wei Ying could only hope so.

*******

Hongse looked around sharply at the hoot of the owls. Night creatures often spoke in a language of their own, warnings in the pitches and depths of their calls. But as they entered the valley of the long grasses, she had noticed an unnatural stillness, like the pressure building before an impending storm.

Ever since she had met the travellers, she had wondered at fate, wondered at how easily she had found them. True, it had been because of their following the Tree huggers, but a win was a win.

Even more astounding was the fact that her Sister's daughter was here!

Five years ago, when her Master had disappeared, she had vowed to find him, and vowed to find her sister. As the days bled away, so did their enthusiasm, their fire that burned with desire.

As Master Wei had said, there were no coincidences. Therefore the only conclusion that made sense to her, was that they were being held somewhere together. Having seen the recurrence of Bai Hua, Hongse was convinced that the key to all of this, lay with the little girl.

It was only a matter of time that the truth would come out.