Chapter 104 Restraint

Most battles are fought with brave warriors, fighting to the death, swords in hand, skills mastered since youth, in a competition of one-upmanship.

The thrill of blades clashing with blades, the sounds of metal upon metal, the shouts of the warriors spurring each other on until the ultimate end. Splatters of crimson blood staining the ground and pristine robes...it was addictive to those brought up on tales of courage and valour.

Sometimes it came down to the speed and tenacity of the individuals; who strikes first compared to accuracy of the hit.

But Wei Ying knew the truth of such conflicts, and if defense was not on the agenda, he would have tried for a peaceful solution. Loss was inevitable, and it didn't matter which side, because the accompanying pain was the same.

To some, however, peace was never an option.

The barrier shimmered open...to chaos.

Wei Ying took one look at the fighting and immediately drew Chenqing to his lips, blowing the melody that never failed to unsettle his enemies, causing distrust and uncertainty within their hearts, even as they were pummelled by resentment energy.

The black smoke powerfully spread leaving destruction in its wake, even as Bichen followed his fluttering black robes, Lan Zhan close behind with WangJi throwing out blue beams of suppression.

Hongse was overwhelmed by at least twenty hooded assassins and the only way she could defend herself from the hand to hand combat, and the darts, was to raise energy from the earth and combine it with the air to create a tornado around her body so nothing could get close.

She was the centre of the madness, red robes swirling as she moved to counterattack.

Yezi and Zhitiao fought back to back, their sword styles evenly matched against their sisters as they attacked and parried, fearlessly executing each move with precision.

Hui Gai held Li XiWang in his arms ready to disappear at any opportunity, but this time, he had a plan of his own.

After all, he basically had permission from his friend to do whatever he liked, and so far, there was only one person he had to keep alive. Besides, who said he had to go for the extreme option of killing, when there were so many other interesting things to try out?

He grinned at the little girl in his arms.

"Shall we have a bit of fun?"

Li XiWang cautiously nodded, wondering what he was going to do.

Hui Gai held his palm out.

At first, nothing happened, but then, huge bubbles appeared. They aimed for the hooded people, completely encasing them and still floating, they trapped the occupants. Since no air flowed inside, once the oxygen ran out, the assassins passed out, and then Hui Gai let the bubbles move onto new victims.

He started piling up bodies out of the way, feeling miffed that after all this trouble, it would be silly if they ended up dead by accidentally having a sword fall on top of them.

Then, he wondered what would the result would be if he added another element...

The sky darkened, as clouds gathered. Lightening struck the ground, sensitising the bubbles and making them float haphazardly into each other, shaking the victims without control.

Hui Gai stifled a laugh at some of them puking up inside their see through pods.

"Got any ideas? Let's have some variety..."

"What if we tied up their hands and feet?" She suggested.

"But that still leaves their mouths...we can't take silly risks because our people are in there..." Hui Gai motioned towards the fight. "It's better if they're in no position to do any harm."

"Okay...mouths..." She beamed suddenly. "Do you think it will work if I hold out my hand too? Like this?"

She showed him.

"Try." He encouraged, feeling the pangs of proudness in his heart.

She closed her eyes, holding her palm to face those against her family.

There were gasps and sounds of choking, and then Hui Gai laughed out loud, delighted with her imagination.

Li XiWang opened her eyes...and began giggling.

All around them, the feared assassins, proficient and adept, had suddenly stopped fighting, and while gasping for their next breath, started throwing up frogs. Little cute ones that bounced and hopped, even those trapped inside their bubbles.

"Not what I expected, but good job!" Hui Gai gave a big thumbs up. "Effective, too..."

He was right, because they couldn't concentrate on fighting or casting spells, too disgusted with themselves to think about anything else but the residual slime that stuck to them and what came out of their mouths.

Out of nowhere, a sword lethal and perfectly aimed came at them, and Hui Gai had seconds only to disintegrate it. He looked where it had came from, and saw the sharp featured woman advancing towards them, with a single purpose of destroying them.

Hui Gai...cackled.

As if he was blowing a normal bubble in her direction, he cast the big one at her, effectively trapping her safely.

"I think we're being too kind..." he told Li XiWang, but it was really for himself.

He didn't want to admit it, but he liked Zhitiao...and his friend had accepted the sisters to be their Shidi.

And this woman had hurt her.

Hui Gai concentrated and brought down a single streak of silver lightening to blast the bubble she was currently contained within.

The bubble stayed intact, but it's occupant began to vibrate, her body trembling with shock.

By now, most of the threat was eliminated, with a huge pile of bodies on one side, this dangerous woman trapped and unable to do much damage, and the remainder of warriors not on their side were too busy puking up frogs to fight.

Wei Ying and Lan Zhan returned, looking around them at the chaos which was now controlled and orderly.

Wei Ying glanced at Hui Gai.

"Did you do this?"

"Team effort." He replied, fist bumping Li XiWang, who also grinned back at her fathers. "And no one died..."

"Frogs?"

"I like them." She declared defensively.

Wei Ying bent and picked one up in his palm. It ribbited at him.

"They're kind of cute." He agreed, smiling.

"Mn." Lan Zhan smiled at his daughter. "Well done."

She held her arms out to him, and he took her from the demon. Before he moved away, he spoke.

"Thank you...Hui Gai. She is safe and I have you to thank."

Hui Gai unconsciously grabbed his tail and nodded silently.

"I missed you, father!" Li XiWang hugged him around his neck, beaming.

"As I did you." Lan Zhan kissed her cheek.

Wei Ying watched them, smiling. Then he held out his palm to show her the little frog.

"Can I keep him?" She took him from her father.

"How many pets can you look after?" He asked, doubtfully.

"They're self sufficient. I'm sure he can catch his own food." She pouted, and Wei Ying melted.

"Mn. You can keep him." Lan Zhan told her, even before Wei Ying could.

Hui Gai smiled at his family.