Chapter 36 Conciliation

Lan Zhan caught Wei Ying as he succumbed to his exhaustion.

"Come. Back to Cloud Recesses." He told the children before mounting Bichen.

SiZhui took Li XiWang on his back, taking off together with Jin Ling.

Lan Zhan held him close, wanting to reach the infirmary faster.

Wei Ying had been right.

It was already getting worse.

When he saw the five hooded figures, he had wondered who they were. But Wei Ying had gasped, taking his attention away from them, and then that strange brown smoke had held them captive, albeit just for a while.

He thought about sending a butterfly to warn his brother, but he was only seconds of reaching there now, so he dismounted and ran inside. Healer Fei was waiting for him.

"Send word to Zewu Jun please." He told a disciple, while the Healer treated Wei Ying.

XiChen came in soon, with Jiang Cheng.

"What happened, Didi?"

Lan Zhan told him everything.

Healer Fei had finished by the time he was done. They turned to him.

"Luckily, it is just exhaustion. He has overdone it, that's all. But, I found this." Healer Fei held the metal shard Wei Ying had picked up, in an empty dish.

"What is it?" XiChen asked him.

It was sharp, and looked dangerous.

"It is a poisoned dart." He stroked the tip with the back of a spoon, and it sprang open, leaking a black liquid.

"Find out what it is, and start preparations on making an antidote." XiChen told him.

Healer Fei bowed.

"I'm taking him back to the Jingshi." Lan Zhan told him.

There was no arguing with his tone.

******

While XiChen ordered a cleanup and an investigation into what happened in Caiyi town, Lan Zhan waited for Wei Ying to wake up.

He slept through that day, and the night that followed, and Lan Zhan waited, reassuring both Li XiWang and SiZhui that he would be alright. Then, he brought back books from the library pertaining to demonic cultivation from the forbidden room, and began to research.

Wei Ying opened his eyes, his hand blindly reaching out to search for his mate.

"Lan Zhan?" He whispered.

Morning sunlight slanted into the room and he sensed movement before the comforting scent of sandalwood enveloped him. Warm lips kissed his forehead.

"You're awake. How do you feel?"

His deep voice penetrated the hazy fog clouding his mind, but he struggled to keep his eyes open.

"What happened?" His throat felt irritable and scratchy.

Lan Zhan helped him sit up and drink from a cup he held to his lips.

"You over did it again." His tone was low but full of reprimand. "Brother is waiting for you so he can call a meeting."

"Just....jus...so tired." Wei Ying mumbled, falling asleep again.

Lan Zhan tucked him in bed again, kissed him once more before returning to his books. He was sure he had found something...

Later, his hands were batted away by a warm body that wriggled into its favourite place. Wei Ying nuzzled closer, sighing into his neck.

"Why are you so far away?" He complained, drinking in his smell.