Chapter 5 Legacy

Daden Yaonu and XiChen were waiting for them with Uncle Qiren in the Great Hall, when Lan Zhan and Wei Ying returned.

"How is Shui?" Wei Ying asked her. He had noticed Jiang Cheng was absent.

"I've left Li XiWang with him, and your son. As it is, I have some information for you, that perhaps you might decide not to share with your daughter just yet." Daden Yaonu smiled kindly. "How is her cultivation going? Have you noticed any changes?"

"Actually, yes! She meditates for at least four hours a day, and she's definitely increasing her strength." Wei Ying gushed.

"That is good. I am not sure how the following involves her, but I would imagine that the stronger she is, the better it will be for everyone, in the end." Daden Yaonu nodded to XiChen.

XiChen immediately placed a silencing ward upon the Great Hall, effectively protecting them from eavesdroppers.

"As you know, my father is the Great Phoenix of Peace. I arranged to meet with him. While he could not provide me with any new information about Li XiWang's parents, however, he had much to tell me about Bai Hua."

"Really?" Wei Ying was excited. He hadn't been able to give much thought to this problem since they had gotten back, because he was still awaiting an opportunity to talk to Li XiWang about what happened to her on the beach, the day she had saved Lan Zhan. The truth was, he didn't want to do it alone, and Lan Zhan wasn't available before.

Lan Zhan took his hand under the table, and Wei Ying already felt so much better.

"We will talk with her soon." Ever in tune with whatever he was thinking, Lan Zhan smiled at him.

"What did your father say?" Wei Ying turned to face Daden Yaonu.

"He said Bai Hua was the famous Healer of the Heavens, and she was an immortal who was assassinated."

They were all quiet, busy digesting what she had said.

"So...what else did he say? About her? Because I thought if you were immortal, you couldn't die...right?" Wei Ying asked, quietly.

Lan Zhan pulled him closer.

"It all depends on their levels of cultivation," she told him. "However strong your core is, that will determine what happens. Our bodies are still made from the five elements; it stands to reason that they must perish. Our souls retain memory, and that is the most important thing. A person can easily be reborn and not remember a single thing from their past life, and yet, it will take only a trigger to awaken memories."

"Indeed." Uncle Qiren said, joining in the conversation now. "There have been stories, people remembering through a certain scent, or taste, and suddenly they are filled with memories of an entirely different body."

"Then, wouldn't that be true of everyone? What if we are all reborn and have no recollection of our previous lives?" Wei Ying shuddered. He looked at Lan Zhan, his thoughts completely transparent on his face.

"In most cases, it is a blessing." XiChen said. "It would be a terrible burden to recall past suffering, rendering this type of amnesia a good thing."

Wei Ying nodded, not letting himself think about where his mind had gone.

"Who assassinated her, and why?" Lan Zhan swiftly asked, squeezing Wei Ying's hand to comfort him.

"There are several theories about why. She was a notoriously strong minded woman. And highly skilled. No one could match her talents, and she never failed to cure a patient if she put her mind to it. There were and still are many rumours pertaining to her death, some of which involve the Children of the Tree."