Chapter 76 Luminous

Yezi was stunned. Could it really be true? Were their Elders wrong about their sister? About A-Xia?

And if so, had they really committed such a great crime, that caused their Mother, their sacred mother to pass away? Was it out of disappointment?

And without their Mother, who could explain this to their Elders? Who would? And would they even listen?

Yezi was filled with remorse and regret. Her sorrow could not be contained any longer, but she tried to hold back a sob. Instead, it came out like a strangled cry. She covered her mouth with the back of her hands, but the hot tears, they bled out of her eyes like a storm, ravaging her body.

Zhitiao threw her tied arms around Yezi, wanting to comfort her twin.

"It's okay, dear sister, please do not blame yourself. That time has gone, has it not?" Zhitiao kissed her tears away.

"But, Zee, how can you be so calm? We caused the death of our Mother. It was us. We do not deserve to be called her children, for what child could commit such a sin?"

"Sister, I'm begging you, that is not the way forward. I have had time to digest this bitter pill. And the only way we can make it better, is to do better. Do you understand?"

Yezi shook her head.

"Perhaps it was not us directly, who caused this mess, but we can as sure as ever, try to fix it. It should be our sworn duty to protect our sister's child first, and second, we must restore that mother to her daughter. Only then can we begin to make amends." Zhitiao sounded so sure, it was hard not to believe her.

"You have at least thought about it." Yezi smiled through her tears.

"It's what I do best, isn't it, sister? And for a while, time was all I had. I could have wallowed in grief, but I decided to do something instead. Something positive. My dearest sister, I am asking you to join me. But only when you're ready." Zhitiao hugged her again. "You are not alone. Not now, and not ever."

"I want to. We are nothing if not duty bound, and I think you're right. Shall we?" Yezi dried her own tears on her shoulder.

"Yes."

They helped each other up. Zhitiao and Yezi came to stand in front of Li XiWang.

Hongse pulled out her sword.

"No further." She yelled.

Her voice woke up the little girl. Wei Ying noticed first, and smiled at her.

"What's going on?" She sat up, with Lan Zhan's arms still around her protectively. She blinked away the sleep.

"We're not sure." Wei Ying whispered. "It looks like a stand off."

Sure enough, Yezi was frowning at the woman in red, whose sword was unsheathed and ready to do some damage.

"Please, we won't come any closer, but could you move out of the way? We wish to speak with our niece, and she can't see us." Zhitiao was polite, but Yezi muttered something under her breath that sounded suspiciously like 'whale'.

Zhitiao threw her an admonishing look.

Yezi shrugged, not at all repentant.

Wei Ying stood up after whispering something to Lan Zhan.

"Hongse." He said quietly. "It's okay."

She only turned her profile towards him, keeping her body erect and facing the threat.

"Are you sure?" Her voice had an edge to it.

Wei Ying looked at Zhitiao and saw what he was looking for.

"Quite sure. Besides, Li XiWang has both Lan Zhan and I. We won't let anything happen to her."

Reluctantly, Hongse sheathed her sword. Yezi stuck her tongue out at her when she wasn't looking.

They stayed where they stood and bowed deeply, before kneeling in front of the child.

"Please accept our oath to protect you always. And we swear to find your mother, our sister." They both said.

"And I'm sorry. It was because of our sisters that you lost your parents. I will do whatever I can to rectify my mistake." She bowed again.

Li XiWang looked...confused. She reached up and whispered something into Lan Zhan's ear, and whatever she said, made him look at her even softly.

Wei Ying wished he could preserve this moment forever. It was happy, and sad and sweet all at the same time.

"Our daughter wishes to tell you that it's not necessary and she does not blame you."

Wei Ying smothered a laugh. Leave it to his husband to put it so bluntly.

"But we blame ourselves. Please, give us a chance." Zhitiao asked.

Wei Ying decided to intervene, otherwise this could go on into the night.

"Let's not make any rash decisions just yet." He smiled kindly at them. "It may be enough to prove yourselves when the time comes, rather than formally vowing. Besides, you're making our daughter uncomfortable." He sort of nudged them away.

They looked at each other, and then grinned at him.

"It's okay, as long as you know. And we will do our best from now on." They bowed and went back to their red circle of guards.

Wei Ying watched them go, smiling to himself. Yezi had....changed.

And he was glad about it.