𝟐𝟎

I watched the orb fall from my hands and shatter onto the cement. The momentum of Daphne's tugs made my arm scrape against the glass. Tears threatened to fall as I struggled to catch my breath.

Suddenly, I was surrounded by a blue atmosphere. Daphne held my hand tighter, but I could barley feel it. Shouts and the sound of howling wind filled my ear.

The last thing I felt was a sharp pain in my left arm.

-

I woke up in the hospital wing. My arm was in a sling and my head was pounding like it was smashed against a rock.

"Oh merlin, Alicia, you scared the bloody shit out of me!" I heard Nott's voice.

It took me a moment to realize that I was surrounded by many other Slytherins. "I scared you? Imagine waking up to a load of bloody faces in your own!" My voice was weaker than usual.

"Don't make her strain her voice." Daphne jabbed Theo in the ribs. "Alicia, you were out for two days!"

I licked my chapped lips and relaxed my head on the pillow. "The prophecy," it was a mere whisper. When I closed my eyes, I heard it all over again.

The one who defied.

It makes me sound so special. How pitiful.

"Prophecy?" Malfoy's alarmed tone made me quiver.

Daphne gulped. "Long story."

I took a deep breath in, looking to my left. "What happened to my arm?"

"You were splinched," said Astoria. "Apparently someone needs to work on their apparition skills." She glared at Daphne.

"Oi! I want to see her too!" I heard Adrian, but couldn't see him. Draco and Astoria moved aside, and I saw him in a separate hospital bed.

I squinted. "What happened to you?"

"Those bloody Weasley twins stuffed me in a cabinet! I woke up in a toilet bowl!" He groaned.

I couldn't help but let out a giggle, moving my head away, and falling into a restless sleep.

-

I was allowed out of the hospital wing a couple days later. Most likely because we were scheduled to leave for summer holiday today. My head still felt like an overused punching bag.

I stumbled onto the platform of the express. People glared at me as I passed by, I noticed Potter. Our eyes met for the briefest second before I scurried forward.

Draco, Theo, and Daphne saved me a spot in their compartment. When I entered, Theo was reading The Daily Prophet with much more interest than he would have with a random herbology textbook. He slowly hid the paper beside him as he watched me sit down.

"Well don't hide it from her," said Daphne, "she's going to find out sooner or later."

My eyebrows knit together. "Pardon?"

She grabbed the paper from Nott's hand, placing it on my lap.

Sirius Black, killed by his own cousin, Bellatrix Lestrange, in the late hours of June 18, 1996. Soon after, it was confirmed that Harry Potter's statements of the dark lords resurrection were correct.

"Malfoy," I breathed, "your aunt is a lunatic."

Draco rolled his eyes. "Oh that mutt had it coming-"

"That's not the worst part," Daphne interrupted. "Keep reading."

Following this tragic incident taking place in the Ministry, new found deatheaters have been arrested the same night. This includes Purebloods Lucius Malfoy and his noble partner, Aster Shallow. There are no remarks on the location of Mrs. Lestrange as she had already fled from the scene.

"My father," is all I had to say for Daphne to snatch the newspaper back. "They're lying."

"They're not."

"But we were there, Daph!" I said louder this time. "He wasn't there, he's not in Azkaban-"

"You're in shock, Alicia." She softened her tone, "we didn't see everything, for all we know, he could've been one of the men shouting out orders."

I gulped and considered it. I won't deny that he damn well deserved it but— why?

My lips stayed sealed the entire ride.