𝟔𝟎

"You know the truth, Alicia."

"It is here. In the walls, above your head. Find it, Alicia."

"Find it, or I will find you."

Pansy snores very loudly. I'd like to think that is why I woke up.

But no, I was thrashing again. Disfiguring my face and kicking at the bedsheets. But this time, with no one to cling to, I woke up.

My chest was heaving, and stupidly, I looked up.

Above your head.

I shuffled through my bag, pulled out Slughorn's list of assignments, and left for the common room.

Pitch black. The clock beside the fireplace read three. "Lumos."

'Servatur Animarum.'

In the walls. Above your head.

The dungeons were at the very bottom of the building, so looking up would mean looking up to multitudes of different floors. Looking up is like looking up to the library. Or the bell tower, more or less.

The Head Girl should not be sneaking through the hallways in the middle of the night, but I reckon sleep would not come easily if I went back to my dorms.

"Oi! Watch the lights!" A corridor painting yelled.

"Sorry, Sir," I whispered. "Just doing my rounds."

"At three in the mornin'?"

I climbed up the dead stairs up to the third floor. There were many doors, and much too many stones to trip on. Inside the library, there is just plain darkness. Only when I wave my wand do I see rows and columns of books and shelves.

Madam Pince snored in her chambers, perhaps as loud as Parkinson.

My head spun just by looking through the infinite aisles. It looked as through half of the books were just about random charms and history.

I dropped my head and stared at the words again.

'Servatur Animarum.'

Dictionary, perhaps?

The language section was five aisles long. I wouldn't be surprised if I had to live here for a couple days.
-

I had two new books in my bag. Greek and Latin. Two very known languages, I reckoned.

The Latin was much easier to understand, as the alphabet is quite similar to English. It didn't take long for me to realize 'Servatur Animarum' was most likely not Greek.

However, the book was very lengthy. Instead of listening to the Carrows ramble about curses, this felt like a better use of my time.

"Alicia..." Dean whispered in class. "Stop reading, they'll catch you!"

"Shh..." I really wasn't listening to him. I had just gotten to the multiple conjugations of the words starting with 'S.'

It was odd, through, because the page labeled 'Ser-' was all ripped apart.

The book was forced shut before I got to process my thoughts.

"I said clear your tables, Shallow. Are you hard of hearing?" Amycus Carrow's breath reeked of rotten peppermint.

"No, Amycus, I was just about finished."

Dean shot me a warning look. In fact, everyone's eyes were stuck to my skull. 

He gave me a wry smile. "That is Professor to you."

I laughed. "My apologies. I was under the impression we were companions."

"You are wrong." He waited in front of my desk. "You know, this is the perfect example of my lesson today."

"Is it?"

"Why, yes, Shallow, it is." He had the most calm yet frightening expression on. "Imperio."

Who am I?

I don't know.

Who are you?

Amycus Carrow.

Stand up.

My legs moved so effortlessly.

Wand.

I could see my wand in front of me, but it was not really there. I picked it up, and it felt so real.

Why does it feel real?

My face was emotionless as I pressed the tip of my wand to my cheek.

Diffindo-

"Stop!"

Carrow turned away and the curse was released. My wand fell out of my hand and I dropped back down. Dean had the most worried expression and I was just merely confused. My head throbbed crazily.

Amycus scowled. "Do you have something to say, Greengrass?"

I perked up and saw Daphne standing before her chair.  She looked at my clueless face and shook her head, sitting back down.

"Very well." He turned back to me. "Take this as a warning."

I couldn't look at him. All I could see was Daphne, uncomfortably keeping her gaze away.