Chapter 7 - Mates

---------------------------------------------

Emmett's POV

---------------------------------------------

I was leaving fourth period trig when I saw her again. She was wearing a pair jeans with a plaid long-sleeve shirt over a white tank top. Her hair was tied up into a ponytail and she wore the same shoes she wore yesterday. She looked down at her watch and went the opposite direction as everyone else. More than likely, she was heading toward her lockers. I continued to stare her direction in a trance, oblivious to those around me.

"Emmett." someone called, causing my head to snap in that direction.

I turned to see Rosalie standing beside me, impatiently. I looked around and realized that I was standing in the middle of the hallway unmoving. People walked around me, not daring to say anything about standing in their path to the cafeteria. I looked down at Rosalie who had an annoyed expression.

"Are we going to lunch or what?" she asked me.

I give her a cheeky grin before grabbing her hand and kissing it. The side of her lip tugged upward as I intertwined our fingers, locking them.

"Let's go." I said with a smirk.

Rosalie rolled her eyes but only smiled nonetheless. Holding hands, we made our way to the usual meeting spot before going to the cafeteria with the rest. We sat at our usual table with a bottled water in front that will probably never get drunken. Wrapping my arm around Rose's waist, I pulled her close to me. We began to chat with the rest of them, talking about random things and such.

I was talking to Jasper when I saw her enter the lunchroom. I felt that pull again and my eyes zoned in on her slender form. She made a visit to the lunch bar before walking to the same table she sat at yesterday. Her friends greeted her and they began talking about school, gossip, and other things high-schoolers usually talk about. There was a small smile on her face as she chatted with her friends and she seemed more relaxed than usual.

Her reaction made me curious of her. She didn't come off as the social type and whenever I see her, she's always alone. I hear she's the new student from New York. Iris is her name, I think.

"Have you talked to her yet?" Alice questioned, snapping me out of my stupor.

"Huh?" I responded as I turned to look at her.

"Iris." she said with a knowing smirk. "Have you spoken to her?"

I shook my head and looked back at Iris' table. She had taken off her glasses and was cleaning them. I couldn't help but get lost in her eyes. They were a clear pacific blue with flecks of hazel and green in them. It was one of the most attractive things about her. My gaze drifted down to her full pink lips that I imagined were as sweet as honey. I wondered how soft they would feel.

"She's a nice girl." Alice commented. "Very candid."

"She thinks we're freaks." Edward said with an eye roll.

My gaze slowly shifts over to Edward who was looking rather angsty. His skin was ashen white and his eyes dark. He stole the occasional glance from the brunette that was sitting a few tables away from us. That Swan girl from Phoenix.

Edward turned toward me and I gave him a mischievous smirk.

"You okay there, Eddy?" I teased.

Edward didn't seem to find my teasing amusing. He clenched his fists and turned to Alice. Geez, I'm glad I didn't have a bloodsinger.