Chapter 8 - Strange Encounter

It's been about two weeks since I've arrived Forks. I was finally settled in and navigating my way through this new lifestyle. My relationship with my grandmother was growing nicely and the transition to school went smoother. Classwork was still a work-in-progress, but I was at a better place than I was initially.

This morning, I work up early as usual and got myself ready for the school day. Because it was raining outside, I decided on a pair of high-waist jeans and a t-shirt under a hooded, color block, corduroy jacket. I finished my outfit with a pair of timberland boots and pinned my hair back into a bun. Grabbing my phone and bookbag, I headed toward the kitchen where I found my grandmother already making breakfast, much to my surprise.

"Good morning, dear." she greeted as I entered the kitchen.

"Good morning, grandma." I said, placing my satchel on the floor. "What are you making?"

"Grits, sausage, eggs, and I have some homemade biscuits in the oven." she said as she slowly whipped the pot of grits. "Juice or coffee?"

"Juice." I replied as I reached in the cabinet to grab my lunch box.

I quietly packed my lunch while my grandmother plated the food. After I was done, I closed my lunch box and placed it in my bag before having a seat at the table. A few minutes later, grandma came to the table with two plates of hot food. After grabbing two glasses of apple juice, she turned on the radio before sitting down at the table.

We ate are breakfast in usual silence. Classic oldies began to pour out of the radio and fill the quietness. My grandma would hum some of the songs that would play and I listened contently. When I was done eating, I grabbed my dishes and took them to the sink to wash. I went ahead and rinsed the used pots and pans, and placed them in the dishwasher for her. Afterwards, I kissed her good bye before heading out the door.

When I got outside, it was drizzling. I walked over to the covered bike sitting in the parkway. I grinned as I pulled the cover away, revealing one of my favorite rides. It was 2007 Harley Davidson FXDL Dyna Low Rider. It was black with dark blue flame outlining on the gas tank. I eagerly folded the cover before stuffing it into the leather saddle bag on the side.

Securing my book bag on my back, I got onto my bike and started it. I expertly maneuvered myself out of the driveway before driving down the road. The cool misty breeze felt refreshing to my skin as I speedily glided down the open road. Three minutes later, I turned into my school parking lot and drifted into an open parking space. After recovering my bike, I headed inside the building toward my first period class. I didn't notice the set of eyes watching me from behind.

I was one of the first few people to arrive to class that morning. After taking my seat, I grabbed my sketch book and began to draw to pass the time. Grace arrived shortly afterwards, she greeted me as she took her seat beside me. Her hair was straight today and she wore light make-up.

"Hey, are you going on that science field trip tomorrow?" she initiated, surprisingly.

I glanced at her. "Yeah." I replied. "You?"

"No. I went with the junior class last year." she replied. "It's not really my thing."

I nodded. "Are Sam and Chloe going as well?" I inquired.

"Chloe's going. As for Sam, do you think she would be caught anywhere near a compost station?" she said with a small laugh. "Spencer will be there, too." she slyly added.

I pretended I didn't understand her comment.

"Oh." I replied.

Before we could say anymore, Mr. Burke returned to the classroom. After counting attendance, we went over bellwork and began the last unit for AP Physics which was Mechanical Waves and Sound. Soon we would start reviewing all the material for the AP Exam at the end of the year. It was the middle of March meaning we had only a month and a half before the test.

First period went by surprisingly fast as well as the remaining three. Lunch came in a blink of an eye and I stopped by the restroom before heading toward the cafeteria. After I was done handling my business, I flushed the toilet and went to wash my hands at the sink. Seconds later, I heard another toilet flush and the occupied stall was open. I was too busy looking down, washing my hands to see who it was that came out.

"Hi." someone said to me.

My headed snapped up and I looked up in the mirror to see that blonde girl with gold eyes. For some reason, my mouth went dry and I paused. I could only stare at her dumbly through the mirror while the water continued to run.

The blond girl didn't saying anything as she turned on the water to wash her hands. After she was done, she grabbed some paper towel and dried her hands before throwing it in the trash.

She then turned to me. "I'm Rosalie Hale." she introduced, offering her hand.

At her gesture, I forced myself to snap out of whatever trance I was in and blinked. Realizing I was standing there like a complete idiot, I blushed. I tore my gaze away from her and quickly rinsed my hands before drying them. I used the towel to cut the water off before throwing it in the trash bin. I turned to her with an awkward smile.

"Iris Collins." I said sheepishly as I reached out to shake her hand.

As soon as we touched, it was like a jolt of heat rushed through me, although I could feel that her hands were cold. Goosebumps covered my skin and I shuddered. There was an indiscernible expression on her face as we slowly shook and she quickly pulled away. She gave me a smile that looked rather forced before turning to walk out of the restroom. I frowned and flexed my hand as she brushed pass me.

"It was nice meeting you." she said to me as she walked out the bathroom.

"You too." I replied absentmindedly.

After she was gone, I stood there for a while staring down at my hand. What was that? When we touched, it was like something akin to heat or electricity that jolted through me. I strange. That has never happened to me before in a figurative and literal sense. I turned around and looked at the restroom entrance.

What the hell?