Chapter 72 - House of Horror

I spend the whole day in bed.

Bored.

Restless.

I am sick of it.

Mrs. Roberts comes up to check up on me here and there, and brought me lunch. 

She doesn't try to start pointless conversation and simply smiles at me before leaving, surprising me. I expected her to be more like her daughter.

Speaking of her daughter.....

I glance at the clock and see that its ten 'til 3.

She'd be home soon.

I sigh and force myself out of bed. I find some sweats and a hoodie and leave my room voluntarily for the first time. I take my time down the stairs and stop at the bottom.

I can hear the T.V. running in the living room and go to see what was on.

I should've stayed in bed.

"Iris, right?" this guy says to me after his initial surprise at my appearance.

He was a fairly tall red head with a bushy beard and striking blue eyes. He had a pale complexion and freckles.

I briefly wonder if Mrs. Roberts has Irish in her ancestry.

"Liz." I correct. "Who are you?"

"I'm Flynn." he stands up and offers his hand. "But everyone around here calls me Finn. I'm Sammie's older brother."

I look at his hand then back up at him.

Seeing that I wasn't taking it, he allows it to fall and scratches his beard awkwardly.

"So, uh..." he glances back at the T.V. "Did you want to watch something? I'm not sure if your into the Discovery channel."

I peek at the T.V. and see an old man catching this huge crab.

I look at him again before turning to leave.

"I'm going outside." I say.

"Okay...." he trails off as I walk away.

I don't think about shoes as I open the door and step onto the porch.

It's raining outside as always.

I close the door behind me and take a seat on the porch swing. 

I quietly watch the sky cry. 

I think it's sad because the sun left it. Everything is so poor and desolate without it.

Maybe that's why I'm still here in this small, gloomy town.

We have an understanding.

"Jesus, its cold out here." someone disturbs my thoughts.

I open my eyes and turn to the door.

That Finn guy goes back inside the house.

I hope he stays in there, but I later find that it's sorely misplaced.

He comes back out in boots, jeans, and a thick jacket. He also has a spare pair of boots, thick socks, and another big jacket.

"Here put these on." he hands them to me. "Wouldn't want you to catch a cold. Or worst, pneumonia."

I look at him and the clothes.

I don't even feel the cold.

I take them anyway and start to put them on over my clothes. Getting sick is the last thing I need. No need to burden everyone with anything else.