Chapter 115

——————————

Emmett's POV

——————————

After spending most of the afternoon with Rosalie, I got up to go back to the hospital.

When I got there, Iris was already gone.

I asked Carlisle about it and he said she went back with the Roberts.

After contemplating it, I decide to go by the Roberts' place.

I park my car in front of the house and get out.

I walk at human speed and climb the steps to ring the door bell.

A minute later, a red haired woman came to the door.

"Are you Mrs. Roberts?" I ask.

"I am." She looks me over. "Who might you be?"

"I'm Emmett Cullen." I introduce myself. "I'm Dr. Cullens oldest son."

Her eyes flash in recognition at the mention of Dr. Cullen.

"Oh! You're Dr. Cullens kid!" She exclaims. "I'm sorry! Hey, did you graduate already?"

"Yes, ma'am. I graduated last year." I reply. "The rest of my siblings will be graduating this year."

"That's right!" She says. "I tell ya, you kids grow up so fast. I remember when my little Sam was still in preschool."

"That's what my mom says." I grin. "Even though we were adopted a little late, she still talks as if she had us our entire lives. She should've seen her at our graduation."

"That's a mom for you." She smiles. "I probably won't be any better at Sam's graduation. You're lucky to have a mom like her. It takes a certain type of person to raise kids as if they're your own."

I nod.

"I learned quickly that family runs deeper than blood." I reply. "She's my mom even if she didn't give birth to me."

"Yeah." She sighs with a smile. "I know how you feel. I recently took in another kid Sam's age. She's hard to open up, but I can tell she's a good kid. I haven't known her long but I accept her as my own daughter."

She looks at me with bright eyes.

"You might know her. Iris Collins?" She says. "She should be a year behind you."

"I know her." I nod. "We were pretty good friends."

"Really?" She sounds surprised. "That's news to me. She doesn't really go out much, at least not before. I didn't know she had friends outside of my daughter and her group of friends."

"Yeah." I scratch the back of my head. "We kinda lost touch after I graduated. That's actually why I'm here today. Dad said you guys came and signed her out."

"Right, Sterling got her this morning." Annoyance flashes across her face before it quickly disappears. "She's not in right now. I think she went to a friends house. Have you tried calling her? Do you need me to call her?"

"No!" I say a little louder than I needed to. "I mean, that's okay. I can give her a call. I have her number."

"Okay!" She says.

I nod.

"Well, alright. Thanks for letting me know." I reply. "I'll go give her a call."

"Okay, take care!" She says as I leave. "And drive safe!"