Chapter 112 - The Process

I wake up in this place again.

The place I never wanted to see.

I look around the hospital room, feeling uncomfortable.

Why am I here?

I blink, my eyes dry from sleeping in contacts.

I grab the nurse call button and press it.

I wait a few seconds before someone shows up.

I freeze when I see the person walk through the door.

"Dr. Cullen?" My heart skips a beat.

"Iris?" Dr. Cullen offers me a polite smile. "Glad to see you're awake."

I don't say anything at first, speechless.

"W-What are you doing here?" I ask, bewildered.

"Right now, I'm here to check your vitals." he says, walking up to me.

I tense as he approaches.

He's avoiding the question.

I blankly stare at him, watching him read the monitor and write on his clipboard.

If Dr. Cullen was here, then....

My hearts skips again.

I recall how I got in here.

I saw them.

I clench my fist under the cover, close my eyes, and breathe.

Breathe, Iris.

"Everything looks good." Carlisle says. "I'd recommend you take it easy for a while. I'll write you an excuse for the next few days of school. You should avoid stress and rest well."

"That won't be necessary." It comes out colder than intended.

Oh well.

"....okay." He clears his throat.

"Where's Dr. Lee?" I ask.

"Dr. Lee?" His brows furrow. "She went out of state to perform a surgery. She won't be back until sometime next week."

"Hm." I hum in discontent. "Where's my phone?"

"It was placed in your backpack." He tells me. "I gave it to Mr. and Mrs. Roberts to take home."

I pinch the bridge of my nose, annoyed.

"Okay...." I breathe aloud. "Where are my clothes?"

"I'll grab them." Carlisle walks away and returns with my clothes. "The bathroom is over there."

"I know." I roll my eyes and move to get out of bed.

"I'll be back." He excuses himself out.

I grab my clothes and walk to the bathroom to change.

Once I'm done, I come out, meeting Carlisle outside.

"I've called Mr. and Mrs. Roberts to let them know that you were awake." He tells me. "How are you feeling? Any dizziness? Fatigue?"

"I felt worse." I shrug, tying my shoes. "To answer your question though, I feel fine."

"Do you need me to get a nurse to bring you anything?" He asks. "Breakfast? Something to drink?"

"I doubt you have the type of drink I'm looking for, doc." I chuckle. "I could really use that phone."

"Here, you can use mine." He pulls a phone out of his pocket and hands it to me.