Chapter 38 - The Rez Pt. 1

I sat at my computer desk in front of my laptop, my fingers moving speedily across the keyboard. I glanced down every now and then to make sure I'm hitting the right keys. 

I'm still in the process of building my typing speed. The best hackers most likely type at the speed of a professional typist which is about 80-120 words per minute. I tend to focus on coding most of the time, though.

In my 7th grade year, I was introduced to the world of computer programming. As a child, I had always been interested in the world of science and mathematics. Other than art, it was all that I read about. 

In fourth grade, we visited a space museum and that's when I first thought of becoming an astronaut and working for the space program. It wasn't until 6th grade that I was introduced to what an engineer was and what astronauts had to do. I decided that I didn't want to be an astronaut, but be the people who helped astronauts instead.

It was when I took the computer essentials course the next year that I became interested in computers. I began asking my teacher different questions and even looked up different programs. In my curiosity, I found computer programming and inherently, coding. 

When I wasn't practicing the my instrument or watching anime, I was sitting at my computer, practicing and learning code. I was amazed at the many different languages there were fell into the rabbit hole that was the computer world.

My first attempt at hacking was in 9th grade and I challenged myself to hack my mother's computer. It was a bold move on my end, but I was eager to try my new set of skills and see were I was. 

It took me a few hours to successfully break into it. Luckily, I didn't get caught or else she would have had my ass on a silver platter.

I also took minor jobs like if someone needed their computer broken into or if a grade needed to be changed in the system. The better I got, the harder the jobs I took. 

After of year and a half of hacking, I found this hacker forum and was introduced to the dark web through a few classmates. It made me realize how deep computer technology could get and seeing so many other higher level hackers made me want to get better and surpass their level.

Although programming and hacking are skills that takes years of practicing, I've been progressing fairly well. Once I understood the basics of coding, I pretty much took off from there. I still have ways to go to reach my goal though.

I was working on my own program when my phone began ring. I frowned and glanced down at the phone to see who it was. 

It was Embry.

"Hello." I answered, picking up the phone.

"Iris?" he said.

"Yep." I replied.

"What's up?" he asked.

"Nothing much." I replied. "Is there something I can do for you?"

"A couple friends and I plan on going riding today." he informed. "I was wondering if you were interested."

"......okay." I answered. "Where shall I meet you?"

"I'll text you the details." he said before hanging up.

A minute later, my phone buzz and I got a text notification. I clicked on the message box and read the text.

Me

Okay. See ya there.

Embry

See u soon : )

I cut off my phone and sighed, running a hand through my hair.